1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don’t think a good chunk of people who are hurt most by inflation have any money in a 401K. And if they do, those gains are hidden and for the future.

Some of it is just the pessimism of the modern age. Once I went through 2008, much like my grandparents and the Depression, I’m apt to just assume the next one is right around the corner. I suspect I’m not alone. Six months into my career, the Big One happened. That’s never going to leave my psyche.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because people responding to polling organizations re: "the national economy" really aren't talking about "the national economy"?

Azrael likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bingo. IMO "the national economy" is a pollster invention which many if not most voters interpret as "how I feel about everything." It's a safe way to express dissatisfaction with one's life and/or what the voter sees on TV. In a further opinion, if voters say "economic conditions" were better in 2019 than today, they are really saying "life was better before the pandemic," a massively disruptive disaster our political system seems incapable of even discussing in any rational way. If time is money, a year plus of covid disruption is one hell of a financial loss.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    maumann and Azrael like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Biden should sign a copy of the record-breaking Dow chart and send it to Fox News Business like Don the Con did.

2muchcoffeeman and Twirling Time like this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Right. It has virtually no correspondence with the actual state of "the" economy.

Thus-and-such economic signal is positive, so soon some hack's tweet about "Corporate greed eleventy!!!!" or "CEO pay!!!!" will be gleefully linked. Or this-and-that signal obtains, and "China's killing us!!!!" and "Organized Retail Theft!!!!" suddenly are up the ass of some other set of folks.

Count me out. If that consigns me to the BOTH-SIDES circle of the inferno ... so be it.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oh, definitely. Great time if you're going smaller and cheaper, or moving from a high-cost state to a low-cost state. Saw some absolutely stunning houses on my recent MACtion trip to Michigan that were going for $100k or so, could easily sell here, buy there, sink another $150k into the house and still come out $250 k ahead. But I don't want to live in Ypsilanti.

garrow, maumann and MileHigh like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Almost no one wants to live in Ypsi.

garrow likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That would be a major league troll.

garrow likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That water tower shaped like a penis is not a great selling point.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

True, but it does add some character to the place.

The 'Welcome to Gary Indiana' thing is another favourite of mine.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

15 Best Things to Do in Gary, IN

As expected before I opened the link, this might be the bleakest marketing pitch of its kind.

I give it the full five :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: .

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There’s a 1,700-sq. foot, three bed, two bath house in a historic neighborhood here for $185,000. Needs paint and a kitchen refresh but move-in ready.

Draft saved Draft deleted