1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The weather would be a definite drawback for me. But small, FBS college town, looked like a nice downtown and another bar district over by EWU, convenient to Detroit Metro airport and downtown, affordable real estate, saw some classic old houses ... I supposed you could do worse, like Houghton. Ann Arbor would certainly be nicer, but at two or three times the price, or so the locals told us.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah but who wants to risk being killed by a wrong-way driver on a residential one-way street.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since I've been, so maybe it's gone, but "The People of Gary Indiana Welcome You" painted on huge tank at the waste treatment plant you see as you're coming in from Chicago is a sight.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Machine Head

The wife wants water and sun. San Diego was the hoped for landing spot, but not so sure anymore.

Have a couple three years to figure it out before we pull up stakes.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Machine Head

Truth

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"That pretty much rules out the PNW," Micro mused to himself, as he looked out onto his back yard on a foggy, 40-degree December day, dreaming of a seat at the bar at Bobcat Bonnie's in downtown Ypsi.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

upload_2023-12-16_16-36-2.png

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If she wants water and sun, I can't think of a place in the US where it won't cost. I live in one, and it has North Atlantic winter to boot, and it still costs. Only reason
    i could afford to buy was the coincidence of an inheritance combined with the Great Financial Crisis driving house prices down.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Florence, Ya’ll” on I-75 is my favorite.

garrow likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Some places along the Texas coast aren't outlandish, but ... it's the Texas coast.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I could prolly deal with Corpus.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Port A? Sure. But it ain't cheap there.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Texas coast. There's a little fishing village, Port O'Connor, I love to visit, and there's a non-trivial chance I'll be a property owner in the Seabrook/Clear Lake area (southeast of Houston) in the next five years (I keep the 30-footer there).

But those aren't the places I think of when I think "beach".

Draft saved Draft deleted