1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The thing about heat and snow is, you can go out at 7:30 in the morning in Florida in the middle of July and get 18 holes of golf or 3 sets of tennis in comfortably.
    New England in January? Any time of day? Not so much.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m sick of both. Though we largely got a reprieve this year, DC summers are swampy ass.

Air conditioning is expensive (yes, I know heat is too). And I like being outside. I’d love to go on a summer run and not have to leave the house pre-dawn because it’s already 85 degrees with 95 percent humidity at 5 am.

I am fully remote at work. There’s no earthly reason keeping me here besides a reluctance to uproot my kids.

Waking up in fresh mountain air and drinking coffee on my own dock is worth dealing with winter. And God also made snowblowers so I don’t have to shovel shit.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

If by “comfortably” you mean instantly drenched in sweat due to high humidity and 80-degree early morning temperatures …

To each their own. If I couldn’t tolerate winter, I wouldn’t live where I live.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can’t think of anything more UNcomfortable than Florida in July.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I felt the same until I experienced Singapore. I was there in November (apparently it doesn’t matter, because the weather is the same all year that close to the equator) and it made Florida feel like Vegas.

SixToe likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I can. August, 1989. Boot camp. Orlando.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I’m the same way except don’t have to worry about uprooting anyone, but I like getting up and walking the beach as the sun comes up over the horizon.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Were you a Bomber? Had some good friends who went to IC.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Was in Singapore in October. Heat index each day was 103-105 with constant humidity. Went for a couple of runs, put my shoes and clothes on the hotel balcony and they never really dried out. Left them in the trash.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ever been to Houston in August?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's only one San Diego. And since almost no one can afford to live there, we put up with places that aren't always comfortable.

That being said, the high will be 63, the low 42 tomorrow in my sweltering Florida.

maumann likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In August 1985, I went down with my sister to help her get moved into her first adult apartment in South Texas near Brownsville. I was there five days and the high temperatures were 111, 113, 110, 114 and 109. Nighttime lows were 85-90. For the first three nights we were in crappy low budget motels with no AC.
    While I was down there, I wanted to go swimming (or at least wading) in the Gulf of Mexico just to say I'd done it, so we went out to South Padre Island where we were amazed to see the beaches were utterly empty.

We quickly found out why; the sand was so phosphorus blazing hot you literally could not walk on the beach in daylight. Not barefoot, not with shoes, not with socks, not with nothin. If it was 110 degrees or thereabouts in normal daylight, it had to be 150+ on the sand.

So finally the last full day I was there, we got up at 5 am to go out there exactly at sunrise, when the sand was at its coolest -- passable for human activity.

I've been down there to visit twice since. February is pretty nice. Mid 80s.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted