1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We went to Miami (Aventura) in July for vacation, I knew it would be piss-hot but even the hotel pool was no relief, with the water just cooking all day under the sun.

maumann likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I mentioned boot camp in Orlando in August. On the morning we did our swim test, the whole march over I was thinking “this is gonna suuuuuck” going off a platform with no chance to ease into it. When I hit the water, it was like a bath. I had to tread water for 10 minutes, and the whole time I was thinking “this is niiiiice.”

maumann likes this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That does sound really icky...

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nothing on North Carolina's coast is cheap. But between the cost, beach erosion and storm seasons, hard pass.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

But...Duck Donuts

6. Sam Mills 51

Welcome to Southeast Asia. Three-plus years.

Just ... no. Unless it's in Okinawa. Best three days I spent there.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

You can do something that rhymes with "Duck" on that one ...

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most of our Key West vacations have been either the last week of May or first week of June, because that's about the only time when it's remotely affordable; there is little threat of hurricanes; and the air isn't like putting on the deep sea pink liquid diving helmet from "The Abyss."
    Still have had a couple of times where, after walking around for a couple of hours, it felt like I was on the brink of death. The last time we went, we hit a point in the late afternoon where I sat on some church steps for about 30 minutes before staggering back to the hotel to lay down for another hour.

Everybody asks, "What's the first thing you should do when you go?" and my answer is a very serious, "Go to CVS. Buy sunscreen. Put it on and don't be shy about it."

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wish I’d bought a place in Hochatown, Okla., when I started fishing there 20 years ago. Now the folks running REITs in Dallas have built more $1m houses than you’d believe. Decades ago, I could have gotten a couple of acres five minutes from the trout stream for $4,000.

SixToe likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We got in at a good time.
    Heck, even after today's storms, I was down on the beach with a flashlight checking things out 10 minutes ago.
    The cost and the risk is worth it to me. We're all summed up by two dates and a dash. I'm making the most of my dash.
    I'm a seafaring man.

wicked and doctorquant like this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's one opening down the road here in north Jersey.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One of my top ... ten, certainly, five perhaps ... parenting fails involved a brief trip to South Padre Island one summer when we barely had two nickels to rub together. If I recall correctly we had two days for "beach time" and were determined to wring every second out of them. Unfortunately, although we set up an awning and dutifully spread and spread and spread the sunscreen on our very-fair youngest child, at the end of the day she got burned pretty badly. She kinda looked like a blonde-haired raccoon. An awful, awful day.

Driftwood and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted