1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I hear you. To each their own.

My grandparents had a river cottage in Beaufort County back in their day. Apparently, one storm seriously damaged the cottage, complete with a newspaper story and accompanying photos. And that was a river cottage. Obviously, oceanfront and other coastal property is subject to even more severe conditions and issues.

But, like you, trying to stay in the dash without making it a dash to the finish.

Neutral Corner and Driftwood like this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

In terms of flooding, there is more damage in the river areas (Northeast Cape Fear and Lumber come to mind) than in coastal areas because that water has nowhere to go in those low-lying locations.

3. Driftwood

Thinking about the retail theft, and a few things come to mind:

1. I have no idea what goes on in San Francisco and similar areas. Stores can't expect local cops to investigate every instance of petty shop lifting. That's on them. Cities can't turn a blind eye to someone walking out with hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise, especially when the store hands over video evidence of them doing it and provide the tag number of the car they drove away.

2. Stores can't make it harder for honest people like me to shop, or I'll just order online, thus harming the local tax base and jobs. For example, my wife wanted something specific from Walmart for her Christmas stocking. I went in, and the entire rack was full of anti-theft devices where you couldn't take stuff off the pegs without finding an employee, who had to fumble around to get it, then waste more time trying to get it out of the little carbonite box, then go to specific register to wait in line. No. Not worth the effort. (As it happened in this case, what my wife wanted was locked on the peg but just in the regular cardboard box, so I tore the tab off, went and paid at self checkout and was on my way.

3. Stores should be designed to where if you are leaving with merchandise, you have to be funneled through the checkout area. If you can't find what you want and leave through the main exit, fine. If you have stuff, go that way. I've never been a fan of receipt checkers, but there are degrees of that, too. If I'm walking toward the door with a box under my arm that I paid for in the back, sure, I'll show you my receipt. If I have a cart full of bags and clearly just left the checkout lane, get out of my way.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1. It's not a matter of stores expecting police to stop all theft. There was always theft. The shrinkage was always incorporated into prices the rest of us pay -- historically 1 to 2 percent of the prices we all pay. What has changed is that rising prices created the incentive for more theft, which took off around the time of the pandemic. At the same time some of the larger cities have gone in the opposite direction of not only not stopping theft, but effectively "legalizing" it by reducing felonies to misdemeanors, or if they haven't done that, simply not prosecuting those who do get nabbed.

2. In major cities, the locked cabinets in chain stores is having the effect you are saying. People hate it, and it's driving more people to shop online -- even for the health and beauty aids people might have stopped at a CVS or Duane Reade to pick up in NY or DC or San Fran. It's just another way that the theft is hurting their businesses -- in lost business. You are seeing it some in stores closing down, although some of that is that they way overexpanded over 2 decades and there is a boom-bust cycle playing out. For example, Starbucks is shutting down stores where they oversaturated cities, and that has zero to do with theft.

3. I think you are being pie in the sky. It's not feasible to control people that way in New York of Philadelphia or Chicago or San Francisco for a drug store chain, for example. They are relatively small stores designed for people flow in and out quickly on foot. They need to manage the expense of running their stores. If you have seen some of the more brazen / high profile theft videos that were making their way around the Internet, the measures you are suggesting would have done little anyhow. You had guys coming in off the street with hefty bags and sweeping everything off the shelves into the bags and walking out with a "Don't fuck with me" attitude. I saw some videos with guys riding bikes up and down the aisles doing that. Even with things locked up, I saw a video last year of a guy walking into a Walgreens with a blow torch to get into the locked cases. Nobody is going to get in their way, and even if any of the employees were inclined to, the chains tell them not to, because they don't want the liability issues that comes with it.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

There has actually been a recent move of some of the supermarket and box chains removing self checkouts lately because of this. They are trying to figure it out.

We all pay in the end, because self checkout brings down their operating expenses. But obviously if it leads to way more stuff finding legs and walking out the door, it's a much less viable way to operate.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  7. Driftwood

As for 3, that's where places need armed security. Ride in on a bike, ride out in a body bag. I have no problem with those type people being dropped where they are. They don't deserve a trial or incarceration.
    We had an incident not long ago where some jackaloon went into a mom-and-pop pharmacy to rob the place. He pulled a gun. The 70-year-old lady behind the register pulled her own and shot his ass. Thus ended the robbery.

8. Driftwood

2. You are absolutely correct that I have no experience with those issues in major cities. I was more or less talking about Walmarts and Lowes type places in the rest of America. It wouldn't be that difficult to arrange them with "Enter Here" "Exit Here" areas. Most are very close anyway.
    If the cities are letting people get away with smash and grab, again, that needs to be addressed by the citizenry and their leaders. If local officials won't do anything about it, elect/hire people who will. That's about the only thing I know to do.
    Maybe there is something to locals being armed. I promise you where I live, if you go into any place of business and there are 4-5 customers, the odds of one or more carrying is almost certain.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's also the option of simply not doing business there.

10. Driftwood

Which brings it full circle. If business leave and people can’t get daily necessities because of poor leadership, elect/hire people who will address the problem.
    the only other option is to abandon the cities.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/19/target-store-closures-theft-and-crime-higher-nearby.html

In some cases, Target chose to keep operating stores in busier areas that had better foot traffic or higher median incomes, even though the locations saw more theft and violence, the probe revealed. In those areas, police departments may be better funded due to higher tax bases, and shoppers may have more to spend on discretionary goods.

Many of the locations Target closed were “small-format” stores the company opened over the last five years as part of an experiment to expand its footprint in dense, urban areas. The moves followed Target’s decision to shutter four similar stores in the spring that it said were underperforming, Retail Dive previously reported.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

Another possible way to look at what that story reported is: 1) The crime rates they are dealing with in the stores they looked at seemed to be pretty horrendous across the board. 2) The story doesn't account for theft levels for each of those stores (which is a biggie), nor does it tell anything about the severity of the reported crimes at any of those stores. 3) Most importantly, it stands to reason that stores that have higher foot traffic and higher median income customers are more able to deal with high crime rates and theft and still operate in a way that is accretive to the bottom line. In a store that has lower foot traffic and lower income customers, it wouldn't be surprising that there is less margin built in for crime and theft before the average revenue per store turns so dire that you can't justify keeping it open. If that is the case, nothing Target has been saying has been untrue.

Of course Target is shutting stores that underperform. You don't close your profitable stores. The question is how much crime / theft in their (presumably) underperforming stores really accounted for the stores not being viable contributors to the bottom line.

Draft saved Draft deleted