1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My problem is what I wrote, the politicians who only care about using the war for political gain. Yes, some of it is the bandwagon jumpers you describe, but no I can't respect Tliaib's focus on blaming Israel after Hamas's terrorist attack. I respect the consistency, but not the content.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Do you respect Donald Trump for his consistency and intellectual honesty with, say, his anti-immigration rhetoric?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My Walmart has receipt checkers. But they check about 1 in every 25 customers. The ones rolling 70-inch TVs out.

He's not consistent. He's obviously fine with Eastern European female immigration. (not that there's anything wrong with that).

5. The Big Ragu

I haven't been in a Walmart in a while, but my first instinct on the receipt checkers is to tell them to go jump in a lake. They have no inherent or legal right to search me without me consenting to it, and I have no obligation to justify a purchase to some random person.

That said. ... the poor people working that job are just cogs, and I don't see the purpose in giving them civics lessons because nothing will change, and I don't get off on giving grief to people working jobs like that who are just trying to get through their days. So the few times I have gotten hit with it, I bite my tongue and play along.

The flip side of me telling Walmart to fuck off if it wants to check my receipt is that as a result, legally Walmart could then turn around tell me they don't want my business and ban me from their premises in the future. I have wondered if that has come up with the receipt-checking thing.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Membership stores (Costco, etc.) do have a legal right to stop you, however.

7. The Big Ragu

When I saw this I figured it was because you sign something when you buy your membership. ... And I just went to Costco's site and looked at their membership agreement:
    • Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, or other bag, upon entering or leaving the warehouse and to refuse entry to anyone at our discretion.
    • To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
    I'm OK with that. People agreed to those terms voluntarily to shop there. If you don't like the terms, you don't have to do business with them.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It’s the customers who have purchases that aren’t in a bag (including those TVs).

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How Much Is Biden’s Support of Israel Hurting Him With Young Voters?

As recently as this summer, a poll with Donald J. Trump leading among young voters would have been eye-popping.

Now, it’s increasingly familiar — and our new New York Times/Siena College national survey released Tuesday morning is no exception.

For the first time, Mr. Trump leads President Biden among young voters in a Times/Siena national survey, 49 percent to 43 percent. It’s enough to give him a narrow 46-44 lead among registered voters overall.

Usually, it’s not worth dwelling too much on a subsample from a single poll, but this basic story about young voters is present in nearly every major survey at this point. Our own battleground state surveys in the fall showed something similar, with Mr. Biden ahead by a single point among those 18 to 29. Either figure is a big shift from Mr. Biden’s 21-point lead in our final poll before the midterms or his 10-point lead in our last national poll in July.

And there’s a plausible explanation for the shift in recent months: Israel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/12/19/houthi-shipping-red-sea-oil-alliance/

SANAA, Yemen — Yemen’s Houthi militants said Tuesday they will not stop their “military operations” in the Red Sea, hours after the United States announced the formation of a multinational naval coalition to protect commercial shipping there.

The Yemeni group that’s aligned with Iran has been targeting commercial ships in protest over the Israel-Gaza war, disrupting one of the world’s busiest shipping routes.

“Our war is a moral war, and therefore, no matter how many alliances America mobilizes, our military operations will not stop,” Mohammed Albukhaiti, a member of the organization’s ruling council, told The Washington Post.

“Participating in a coalition to protect the perpetrators of genocidal crimes is a disgrace in the history of the participating countries,” he added. “If America had moved in the right direction, it would have obliged Israel to stop its crimes without the need to expand the scope of the conflict.”

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It would take a special level of stupidity and ignorance for those college students to vote against Biden due to his support for Israel. It is a common mistake, looking at the candidate in a vacuum rather than comparing him to his opponent. If what you care about is doing a better job of helping Palestinians, the question should be which candidate would do more to help the future. Of course, Biden is the better option.

12. The Big Ragu

Draft saved Draft deleted