1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

While we're on drug stores, I had meant to link this last week.

Pharmacies share medical data with police without a warrant, inquiry finds
    The revelation could shape the debate over Americans’ health privacy as states move to criminalize abortion and drugs related to reproductive health

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/12/12/pharmacy-records-police-privacy-abortion/

"The nation’s largest pharmacy chains have handed over Americans’ prescription records to police and government investigators without a warrant, a congressional investigation found, raising concerns about threats to medical privacy.

Though some of the chains require their lawyers to review law enforcement requests, three of the largest — CVS Health, Kroger and Rite Aid, with a combined 60,000 locations nationwide — said they allow pharmacy staff members to hand over customers’ medical records in the store.

The policy was revealed in a letter sent late Monday to Xavier Becerra, the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Reps. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) and Sara Jacobs (D-Calif.).

The members began investigating the practice after the Supreme Court’s decision last year in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization ended the constitutional right to abortion.

The revelation could shape the debate over Americans’ expectations of privacy as Texas and other states move to criminalize abortion and drugs related to reproductive health.

Pharmacies’ records hold some of the most intimate details of their customers’ personal lives, including years-old medical conditions and the prescriptions they take for mental health and birth control.

Because the chains often share records across all locations, a pharmacy in one state can access a person’s medical history from states with more-restrictive laws. Carly Zubrzycki, an associate professor at the University of Connecticut law school, wrote last year that this could link a person’s out-of-state medical care via a “digital trail” back to their home state."

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Rite-Aid contributes to my ice cream addiction, fortunately not opioids.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This is why I steal my boner pills from my buddy's medicine cabinet!

4. spikechiquet

uhhh...no one show my buddy this post...

dixiehack likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is simply sickening.

Hey GOP, this is exactly why the Framers put in constitutional protections for the individual against the State (see also 1984). State is not supposed to violate the individuals' rights against big government infringement.

That's also why there is a right to privacy, not to mention HIPPA. Shareholders, prepare for civil class-actions and penalties.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The crazy is dug in deep with these people. Digging a moat around the property?

FBI searches home after reported cross-burning as part of "criminal civil rights investigation" - CBS News

"South Carolina is one of two states without hate crime laws based on race, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, according to WBTW, but the criminal civil rights investigation being undertaken by the FBI is federal. The FBI is the primary federal agency responsible for such investigations.

According to an FBI news release, the agency is working with the U.S. Attorney's Office and local and state partners on the investigation"

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Outing alert: spikechiquet is freqposter!

8. spikechiquet

LOL
    Notice I said "from my buddy's stash"

I just steal from Freq! ;)

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

YOU LOST!
    Now go take several seats and whine about heritage that is most likely not yours or can't be documented as such.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Systemic racism. ... the tangible type.

https://www.chalkbeat.org/newyork/2...program-to-diversity-college-stem-enrollment/

What is interesting to me is that ... this program has gone on for forty years and it is just entrenched and people just accept it at this point. I think the tide is starting to turn, as evidenced by the Harvard DEI backlash.

Also, the lede is, "A prominent conservative legal foundation. ..."

The Pacific Legal Foundation doesn't bill itself as a "conservative legal foundation," though. Their stuff is all about civil rights, property rights, equality before the law, freedom of speech and association, separation of powers, equality of opportunity, etc. I always find it interesting when people trying to control language and label things to fit their own narrative.

FWIW, that conservative legal foundation has brought 19 cases to the Supreme Court since the 1980s and has won 17 of them, precisely because they pick pretty obvious cases of governments shitting on the rights of people in some way.

Pacific Legal Foundation Aims to Extend Supreme Court Win Streak

Draft saved Draft deleted