1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No goals for 14 minutes in that period, then three in one minute. Hockey!

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful degen star turn we're diving into.

It's like we're five downtown Las Vegas bums, sitting around and pumping quarters into Sigma Derby at the Four Queens.

I know... because I watched it in 1995, right before the dome went over Fremont Square. These men, sipping 25-cent beers at 3 a.m. watching wooden horses go around a little track. Yelling at each race. It was so pathetic.

20-year-old me to my buddies, "if I'm EVER doing this when I'm 50, just shoot me."

And here I am... sweating second-period totals for Ottawa and Nashville games. Finding my son's ESPN+ log-in so I can watch as I copy-edit and manage a newsroom.

What a time to be alive.

MileHigh, playthrough and Batman like this.
  3. exmediahack

Feels like the moment when Mike McD loses all the money at the start of Rounders.

Gotta make our inside straight (2 goals in the last six minutes in Arizona).

Batman likes this.
  4. exmediahack

I feel like Gerry Cooney, crying into the mic that I let everyone down after Larry Holmes TKO’d me.

Sens 2P overs fall to 22-2.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    Batman likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thought for a second we were gonna get bailed out with that rocket wrister with three seconds left, but the Ottawa goalie got his fuckin' blocker up in time.
    Jerk.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh, now those assholes want to go on a scoring binge.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Queens is located in Charlotte and plays in the Atlantic Sun.

Speaking of dumpster diving, took Notre Dame -8.5 and they lost by fucking 20 to the fucking Citadel at home, so there's that. Happy hour hoops gone wrong.

Batman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Holy crap. I could name almost every DI and D2 school, and more than a few D3, NAIA and NCCCA schools, off the top of my head and the ones I miss I've probably heard of and just couldn't think of. I swear to God I have never heard of Queens. Crazy.

And I saw that Notre Dame game as well. Thought about it for a moment but didn't bet it. Glad I didn't.
    My loser was Alabama State +17.5 at home against USC. It blew up a four-teamer that would have cashed otherwise.
    The SWAC schools have been playing well when they're at home in those SWAC vs. Pac-12 games and I thought Alabama State might keep it reasonable. USC had a 15-20 point lead the entire game, though, and made a small push at the end to win by 20.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They're relatively new to DI, so not surprising. I only knew of them because when I covered Liberty, Dale Layer was head basketball coach for a spell and he had spent time coaching at Queens when it was DII.

Batman likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Any of you guys playing prize picks?

You merely pick the over/under for individual player stats. Points/yards etc. It's fun and they have a lot of promos.

https://www.prizepicks.com/

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I might have found a new dumpster in which to dive! :D The Islanders and their opponents have combined for at least three goals in the second period in 11 of their last 17 games. It's a strange quirk for sure, b/c they're supposed to be built on a good defensive structure and a methodical offense, but they allow a thousand shots per game and are actually scoring at a decent clip. Tonight against the Capitals is a real crapshoot b/c the Islanders are playing the second game of a back-to-back set. The Islanders & their opponents combined for just three second period goals in the second period of the second game of the Islanders' first three back-to-back sets (Christ this really is degenerate :D) but Saturday was bonkers w/the Canadiens scoring four goals.

Anyway, as @exmediahack says, if you've got some pizza money you can part with...at FD, 2nd period total goals is 01.5 (-180) while both teams scoring in the second is +124. Have fun, you fellow sickos!

exmediahack likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would you believe I was on ND too? I follow Alan Boston on Twitter and take his picks sometimes, he's a college basketball mensch. But everyone has their duds and that one qualifies.

Draft saved Draft deleted