1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

qtlaw likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No rotation. Dixville Notch can vote at 12:01 a.m. Then all 50 states and the territories vote on the second Tuesday in March.

That's it. We're done. See you in November.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

But, see, it makes total sense to have it be the same places every time. Because those states have become really good at staging those events. The media in those places have become seasoned, too. It's not a one-week Final Four. It unfolds over multiple years.

And it's not about whether Iowa and New Hampshire pick the right candidates. It's about how those states stage those events - which, generally - until the tabulatuon fiasco in Iowa - they have done quite well. The point is to launch competition, not seek state equity in who gets a political Super Bowl.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Then the states don't get any exposure to candidates and the field never whittles down.

Obama is almost certainly not the president under those circumstances. How would he have won a national primary against Hilary without first winning Iowa?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So ... campaign and fundraise better.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Just saw my first Hawley ad on TV. Something about drug prices with lots of white folks milling around.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Having participated and covered Iowa caucuses in the 1990s and 2000s, I can tell you there are quite a few flaws in the system.

The major one being it makes very difficult for working families to participate — if you don’t work regular daytime hours or you can’t find several hours of evening and nighttime child care, you can’t really be part of the lengthy caucus process.

Leaving aside the rather large issue of whether Iowa with its skewed demographics should vote first, at the very least the state should switch to primaries for both parties.

garrow, Driftwood and Hermes like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Or keep the system we have because it works better.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can get on board with all primaries.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

College football has undergone more change over the past 24 months than the political system has over the past half century.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

two ridiculous institutions that need to learn to pay for themselves

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted