1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

More importantly ... just what in the hell does this mean?

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Stabilizing domestic supply” is doing what Biden has done: pumping the ever-living crap out of what we have. Taking our oil off the market would just be shooting our own dick off.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Joe Biden owns and operates drilling rigs? How does he manage to produce so much oil, in addition to being president?

At the moment, the U.S. is producing more barrels per day than at any time in history. But that has to do with supply meeting demand, not a guy who happened to be elected to office.

The United States is producing more oil than any country in history | CNN Business

The reality is that this administration came in with "policies" that would have prevented new production -- including preventing new drilling projects in the name of the environment. They were going to get everyone driving an electric car, using wind and solar energy, etc. Then gas spiked to $5 a gallon, or whatever it was, and they tried to demonize the energy companies for it. But it was supply and demand all along. The U.S. has a lot of reserves and technology has made leaps in getting to reserves profitably. ... and in the face of surprisingly higher global demand for oil -- despite the rhetoric and obstacles from this administration -- the companies have been able to ramp up to meet demand.

Aside from that, the only thing Joe Biden can actually effect. ... is that they have brought the price of gas down -- for political reasons -- by draining the strategic petroleum reserve, something people have seemed to have little clue they did. I don't think it is entirely coincidental that they have very recently started hitting the futures markets to buy some oil to replenish what they dumped into the market when the polls were turning against him. ... and not surprisingly the price of oil has started to come up. They were adding supply to the market when they dumped oil into it from the SPR. Now they are adding demand, which pushes prices higher.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Maybe the time off made him less of a dickhead, he thought.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I don’t question your explanation of supply and demand affecting gas prices, Ragu (welcome back BTW).

But years of watching the local gas station jack up prices the instant something happens in the world (trouble with shipping in the Red Sea, for example) while taking their sweet time to lower the price per gallon when economic conditions improve doesn’t give the oil companies much benefit of the doubt.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The thing is, at your local gas station, "supply" doesn't change every day. What you have is in those huge tanks underground. You paid $X for that supply, which will last 1-2 weeks.

Demand doesn't go up and down and back up again from Tuesday to Wednesday to Thursday.

So why do the prices change every day?

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

thx coco. I have posted about this before. There is a phenomenon known as rockets and feathers. What you are talking about. When a shock happens, the price of gas rockets higher.

Consumers freak out and they become more apt to shop for cheaper places to fill up, and that stems the price rise after it rocketed higher.

When things stabilize, the price drops more like a feather than a rocket, and that is because consumers are less vigilant about shopping hard. It’s human nature. “I paid $3.30 last week. Oh look, it’s now $3.25. I’m ok with that.” They don’t push as hard for the $3.05 price as they were ready to shop around when the price rose really quickly. As a result, the price comes back way more gradually.

It is supply and demand at work. It’s that demand doesn’t respond quite the way people assume it will / should.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He sold when the market was high and the citizens were pressuring him to "do something". They're replacing the reserve after a substantial price drop.

Frankly, I appreciate that he's trying to get this country to do something in the face of global warming besides continuing business as usual. He's about to get politically crucified some more over funding the hydrogen power industry's growth and adoption as a vehicle fuel. Burn hydrogen instead of gasoline and you get water instead of pollution, but it will take a lot of front end R&D to make it happen.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think the textbook example of what you're talking about was the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

After the early-morning shock, fear and tears of the attack, the main thing I remember working in the newsroom of my small daily in northern Michigan were dozens of calls from people freaking out about gas prices. They went from (if memory serves) $1.69 per gallon to double that amount in less than 12 hours.

One older woman I spoke with was hysterical about it, saying how she lives on a fixed income and there's huge lines for gas and what is the current price at the downtown gas station near the newspaper. "Maybe I better run out and get some now, because they're only going to get worse!"

I asked her if her car was almost out of gas, and she said the tank was about half-full. I advised her to wait a few days. Not sure if she took the advice or not.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Imagine you're a small retailer, and just this morning you paid $40,000 for 20,000 gallons of gas (wholesale of $2 for the arithmetically challenged). Now there's news of some disturbance somewhere and you see market prices that suggest a current wholesale price of $2.25. Do you price the gas you have to sell based on: 1) what you paid for it; 2) what you'd have to pay for it right now if you had to replace it; or 3) what you think you'll have to pay for it when you have to replace it?

Anybody who answers "1" is ... foolish.

misterbc and Azrael like this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If you're a small retailer you're worried about shipping diversions, higher rates, shortages, and longer lead times around the Horn of Africa due to Houthi attacks in the Red Sea.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

In a floating volatile market, if you are not working off of replacement cost you're a fool. You raise prices quickly as it rises to maximize profit and to keep up with replacement cost, and you lower prices as slowly as you can get away with without getting outsold by those undercutting you. 3) is a crapshoot, depending on how smart and well informed you are and how volatile the market is.

Draft saved Draft deleted