1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The thing about this is, it's really not a big enough deal for anybody -- either individual customers, or any courts, to act out on. If you're not stealing, what's the problem with showing your receipt? Half the time, customer hosts can't actually get a great, long look at it anyway, because of a long lineup of people behind. So, just to do their job, they glance at it, make whatever mark they were told to make on it to show the receipt got "checked," and out the door the customer goes.

Yes, they're supposed to be looking for particular things -- things on the bottom of the cart, electronics and other high-ticket items, things inside other things (like six-packs of soda inside new coolers, clothes/whatever stuffed inside new hampers, luggage pieces, etc.), high-number multiples of food items that could've been skipped/counted as less at a self-checkout, stamps, gift cards, etc., and the hosts do their best to do that and check on those. But it's not like most people literally get stopped, long-term, at the door while this checking tries to go on.

Oh, and you literally cannot get out of a Costco without showing your receipt, and having it checked and marked the same way. In fact, I'd say Costco actually set the precedent with this issue, but only Walmart gets called on it. I'd wager it's because the general demographic of the two outlets is considered different, even in the same areas, with Walmart customers seen as more likely to steal -- and with that, more than likely, actually being so.

So, to some extent, it's a matter of, if the suit fits...and performatively insulted/offended Walmart customers making an issue of the practice.

TigerVols and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Walmart gets called on just about everything most other retailers do.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

doctorquant likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Costco requires a membership to shop there, and part of signing up for that is agreeing to the check on the way out. You're not winning that fight. Make a big scene and they'll pull your membership, end of problem.

franticscribe likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

And therein lies the problem. I don't go to Walmart to "shop" or socialize. I enter the store with a strategic plan to get what I need and get out as quickly as possible. I have my path around the store planned out before I enter, and if I miss something I meant to get, too bad; I don't backtrack.
    Again, for me personally, it's all about degrees of what I'm willing to tolerate. If I paid for large item in sporting goods or electronics and come to the front, I have no problem showing the receipt. If I am clearly exiting a designated checkout area, get out of my way.
    I've never been, nor will I be, rude to grandpa or grandma doing their job. It's not their fault. I'm also not going to waste my time standing in line while they chit-chat with every person in front of me. Maybe that's just a thing where I'm from, but I assure you, old people working in stores like to talk to other old people in stores. I just want to get what I need and get out.

wicked likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You seem to be doing a lot of quoting without adding any comment to these links. Are those words speaking for you?

No student should feel unsafe on a college or university campus, but I feel the piece was biased. It ignores the very real issue of anti-Jewish elements within pro-Palestinian protests. There have been incidents of Jewish people being made to feel unsafe. Much of the rhetoric used by the protesters adds to that feeling. There are people in these protests expressing support for Hamas, which is unacceptable. While "from the river to the sea" isn't anti-Jewish on its own, I understand why a Jewish person hearing that on campus would be uncomfortable. Why was no one asking these protesters about shouting down the anti-Jewish and pro-Hamas elements within their ranks? Shouldn't that be part of the conversation, too? It is part of why many of them are being judged unfairly. They are being lumped in people supporting terrorists and/or hating Jews because they are standing with those people.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nope. If I were commenting on the links, I'd comment on them.

I'm putting them here - in many cases with a gift link to get members through the paywall - to represent a range of what's being published on any given day.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I ask because another poster brought this up to you previously, and reminded you that the expectation here is to have a comment if you are going to post something. We all miss that goal sometimes. I know I do, but I figured it was fair to ask if you agree with these things you are posting.

Azrael likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fair enough. If I'm quoting the lede or the nut graf from the linked story, I figure doing so satisfies both the spirit and letter of that rule. Curious posters can click through to get the whole story.

I post them here in part because these are the stories I'm reading, mostly very early in the morning.

In a case like this where the news and the coverage of the news is especially fraught, the more information the better.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

To be clear, I didn't say a comment was expected. An excerpt is fine, too.
    The point is to give the rest of us, at the least, a quick hit on what's in the link.

Azrael likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is obviously utter nonsense, and a 30-second scroll through her tweets shows the poster is a Hamas sympathizer/supporter/propagandist. But this is how stupidity and ignorance spread, and somehow it wouldn't shock me at all if we start seeing "reports" or conspiracy theories that Israel did use a nuke.

Draft saved Draft deleted