1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

4 Birmingham Bowl posts was right on the O/U for total for the entire bowl season.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A lot of them do bowling nights or something similar. If the game is anywhere near a major league city and the schedules align, they probably take them to an NBA or NHL game.
    When the game in Charlotte was the Belk Bowl, they used to give each player a gift card to Belk (I want to say it was $500) as their participation gift and then take them to a store for a shopping spree. IIRC, that was actually pretty popular with players.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Summerall and Brookshier could lead you to some interesting spots.
    Oh to be a fly on the wall for those trips.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bowl games today in Birmingham, Montgomery and Mobile. For once, the college football universe does revolve around Alabama, instead of Alabama just thinking it does.

BTExpress, SixToe and maumann like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hawaii Bowl took the teams to the USS Arizona Memorial a couple of days ago. Always a notsalgic moment for San Jose State, which was scheduled to play in Honolulu that week.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

In case anyone wondered what happened to Butch Jones, there he was on the Arkansas State sideline in the Montgomery, Ala., bowl game with his patented “I’m constipated” face.

And a righteous explosion of anger at the end when a flimsy offsides penalty screwed the Red Wolves out of an onside kick recovery.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think I've told this story here, but there's a legend from the Spartan Daily where they had a football reporter covering the game. He wrote a story about the game being cancelled. Never mentions the attack. We dove through the archives and confirmed it.

maumann and dixiehack like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The hell ...?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Doubled as a team manager IIRC.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My dude is clearly squeezing in some yard work postgame.

Batman likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do have to wonder though in those times - might have been censored.

Spartan Squad and maumann like this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's really surprising, but other posters much more fluent in World War II history might be able to shed more light on what was permissible to print in the hours and days after Pearl Harbor. Not making excuses, but I wonder if there were reasons not to mention specifics about the attack because of national security?

In the hours after the attack, Roosevelt and many of the members of his Cabinet weren't certain if the Japanese had the capability to bomb the West Coast, or even land an armed force. There was a documentary I remember that based on paltry U.S. military assets on Dec. 7, 1941, a Japanese invasion might have reached the Mississippi River before Roosevelt could get enough soldiers in place for a reasonable defense.

Roosevelt's military advisors had the intelligence but completely dropped the ball, ignoring obvious signs and signals that the Japanese were planning something big.

I've visited some of the remains of the concrete gun emplacements for coastal defense in San Francisco, and can only imagine the confusion and concern in early 1942 for residents along the Pacific Ocean. More on those here: Guarding the Gate: The Harbor Defenses of San Francisco - Terrain.org

Plus there was the whole "Japanese-American" issue, where Washington politicians were definitely paranoid that the attack in Hawaii might have been an inside job -- the Germans had been using spies with huge success in Europe -- and loyalty was in doubt. Unfortunately, that proved to be a terribly short-sighted and racially-motivated decision that cast a permanent black eye on this country. Nobody put millions of Americans of German ancestry in detention camps, even though there were several Nazi spy incidents during the war. Disgraceful.

And while researching the 1963 North Carolina state football championship, which was held on the night of the Kennedy assassination, the sports editor of the Rocky Mount Telegram never mentioned the events in Dallas. I get "news" stories and "sports" stories -- plus the bigotry of the times -- but the President gets killed and there wasn't a moment of silence or even thought about a sidebar reaction piece?

EDIT: @DanOregon said in one sentence what I wrote in Ragu paragraphs!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    I Should Coco and Spartan Squad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted