1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The late David Brinkley tells a fascinating story in his autobiography. He recounts how most of official Washington learned of the Pearl Harbor attack when they were at a Redskins game and noticed the PA announcer repeatedly interrupted the game to announce admiral so-and-so, please call your office; general so-and-so, please call your office; colonel so-and-so please report to your office.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

After the eighth eggnog:

[​IMG]

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In other accounts, the announcer as identified as Frank Blair, later the news reader on "Today."

TigerVols and maumann like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That Northwestern Utah game was brutally awful, but they sure beat the absolute living shit out of each other. I’ve never seen more hard hitting in a pre-Christmas bowl game.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think Eastern Michigan just 86’d itself from coming back to the 68 Ventures Bowl.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My gracious he was losing his mind.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I don't think I get his joke, but Kenny Simpson is an A+ high school coach, and one of the nation's authorities on the Shotgun Wing-T. He's one of my go-to guys for coaching vids, both Xs and Os and overall philosophy.

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

The Redskins beat the Eagles 20-14. Read in a comic book about the game.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I think he's saying that high school officials would tell the kid to get off the field and don't come back until he's dressed properly. Just like how they'll bring a basketball game to a complete standstill until a player tucks his jersey in.

College and the NFL are both supposed to enforce long shirts and pants covering the knees. College doesn't enforce the rules and NFL players get slapped with fines that amount to pocket change.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My old man response to the EMU guy: Where was that level of effort during the game? You lost 59-10.

Batman and HanSenSE like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My two favorite factoids from the AL.com follow up story.

And

https://www.al.com/sports/2023/12/e...vs-south-alabama-promises-to-investigate.html

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted