1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I realize that, and believe me, I've wondered if Walmart could/should do the same thing, particularly now that it has Walmart+ memberships (It won't happen). But the real point is, the reasoning and procedures by Costco are the same. People who only shop at Walmart just don't realize that it happens.

The best thing would be for people to just not make a big deal out of everything. I read something today about a customer letter that went up the Walmart chain of command in which the customer complained about the receipt checking, bragging about how they wave the receipt above their head and just walk out, and saying, "I'm not interested in proving I did your job for you."

Um, I think they know that's not why we want to see their receipt. If people are so put out about using self-checkout, they don't have to do so. There is always at least one or two cashiers available, or, they can employ that little trick of going to an outlying register in Garden, Electronics or the Tire/Lube Center and get their checkout done there.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I’ve been to many Walmart and other spots where no other checkout options were available.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's fair, which is why I asked if you were letting those excerpts speak for you.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

A Times Investigation Tracked Israel’s Use of One of Its Most Destructive Bombs in South Gaza

A Times Investigation Tracked Israel’s Use of One of Its Most Destructive Bombs in South Gaza

New York Times: Israel used 2000 pound bombs on areas it had designated as safe for civilians to evacuate to at least 200 times. “Our investigation suggests that, even for those following every evacuation order or advisory, there was no safety to be found in a war zone that’s more dangerous for civilians than any in recent history.”

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://wapo.st/3TErVYK

The Israeli military campaign in the Gaza Strip has been unlike any other in the 21st century.

In response to the unprecedented assault by Hamas on Oct. 7, Israeli airstrikes and a ground invasion that began 20 days later have destroyed large swaths of the besieged territory, killed at least 20,057 people and displaced a vast majority of the population.

The most ferocious attacks have come from the air, flattening entire city blocks and cratering the landscape.

The Washington Post analyzed satellite imagery, airstrike data and U.N. damage assessments, and interviewed more than 20 aid workers, health-care providers, and experts in munitions and aerial warfare. The evidence shows that Israel has carried out its war in Gaza at a pace and level of devastation that likely exceeds any recent conflict, destroying more buildings, in far less time, than were destroyed during the Syrian regime’s battle for Aleppo from 2013 to 2016 and the U.S.-led campaign to defeat the Islamic State in Mosul, Iraq, and Raqqa, Syria, in 2017.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Sure, waste time standing in line behind the eight people with full carts at the two cashiers available and then have some old lady wait until everything is completely scanned to start digging around in her purse to get out her checkbook.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Walmart, Gaza, and Jennifer Connelly.

And the Steelers. Always the Steelers.

doctorquant likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ll wait unless the real checkout line is impossibly long. Then I’ll just abandon my cart and walk out. I’m not going to Walmart for much anyway, and I hate myself a little each time I do.

swingline and Driftwood like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

doctorquant likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It seems strange to me that folks marvel at a unique-ish response (stipulated) to an "unprecedented" provocation.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a practical matter for journalists (and poets and novelists and writers of any kind), there's a real challenge to language in trying to describe any part of what's happening.

One word is too many, and ten thousand aren't enough.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Azrael, post: 5121977, member: 12060]". . . unless we're arguing that there should be a hale, handsome, blue-eyed straightbacked and angry retired sports writer in a blue vest checking receipts . . ."[/QUOTE]

Guys, stop talking about me.

Draft saved Draft deleted