1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Given that war (and terrorism, I suppose) is an "art" of singular occurrences, perhaps trying to contextualize it while it's unfolding is a mistake ... or something else. As mentioned above, I have grown very skeptical of journalism-ing re: this thing.

FileNotFound and Azrael like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it's beyond the compass of daily journalism to untangle a history of violence so old and so singular as this, and inventory the catalog of its infinite horrors.

But that's the job.

Neutral Corner and doctorquant like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife ...

... it's like being horrified by Hamas atrocities, then watching Israel slaughter Palestinian life.

4. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

It's ironic that a region designated The Holy Land should be the focal point of centuries of inhumanity.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A 40-day and 40-night rain might clean the place up.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Palestinians in the street ain’t the bad guys here.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It was me. I always feel like it lowers the general quality of discourse to post links without analysis (even if you quote relevant parts). Or worse, to post tweets that make some kind of big point without identifying the credentials of the person who tweeted it. Why would anyone care about a tweet from some rando with no actual expertise in something (or no personal connection to the event/issue in question)?

Those standards separate a reasonably high level discussion board from a shitshow.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, but they don't seem to realize it is Hamas and other similar groups that keep putting them in harm's way.

Hamas and Islamic Jihad do not want peace. They want to stay in power and they want Israel gone. Everybody needs to wake the fuck up and realize it.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2023
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

YF just got up out of his chair and kicked the cat on Christmas Day.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The hell of it is, more times than not the Xitter link won't load to begin with. Or you just get a URL to click on with no explanation.

Any ol' fool can spoof a URL and lead you to a dark web site that sucks your bank accounts and credit balances dry on one click.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hamas/IJ aren’t any different from the North Koreans. Except they have no figurehead leader like Kim. Their rallying cry is to kill Israelis.

Also: The Palestinians in the territories know nothing but a life of desperation and warfare. I assume their educational infrastructure isn’t great, nor very secular. I wouldn’t trust any polling coming out of the West Bank or Gaza.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted