1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That also occurred at the Giants/Brooklyn Dodgers game at the Polo Grounds. Wild Bill Donovan, who was the leader of the OSS, was at that game and got paged.

SI did a bunch of stories for their end of the 20th century edition in which their staffers wrote about one sporting event that they wished they could have attended, but it couldn’t be a famous game. One guy wrote about the Redskins/Eagles game that day, and interviewed a family member of one of the Eagles players who went into the military after that game and died in battle. The family member said they saw an NFL Today story on the 50th anniversary, which had film clips of that game and cried.

Supposedly, Redskins owner George Preston Marshall ordered his PA announcer to not mention the attack itself because he didn’t want the fans to panic and also wanted them to have a couple more hours of a normal life before their world was going to permanently change.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Must've been weird being at the Rose Bowl in Durham that year. They kept the 2 p.m. local kickoff, so probably got done before sunset.

maumann likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And meanwhile - General after General, Admiral after Admiral were paged over the PA throughout the game.

4. DanOregon

I loved that issue of SI - actually wrote to them praising them for it and it was the first letter published on the letters page. I finally got my work published in SI!!!!!

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it had lights then. Plus, it was 40 degrees and raining. Perfect Oregon State weather.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon State has one of these too. The people at the start are the provost (the man) and president (the woman).

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

I get it - but would there be a better showcase for your next school than the Orange Bowl vs. Georgia?

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Not if you expect to get your arse kicked I suppose. The Quit Force is strong with this team, Luke.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe Florida State can sue him too.

Webster, Slacker, dixiehack and 2 others like this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That game will be off the board in Vegas at this rate.

Draft saved Draft deleted