1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It’s well known that the price we pay at the pump isn’t for what’s already in the tank; it’s for the expected cost of the next truck.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yet another layer of best-guess speculation, even after the hedgers and futures speculators have influenced pricing.

Maybe customers should get to bid at the pump!

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Responding to this in, to my eyes, a more apt venue ...

I got trapped the other day in the fasteners aisle at the hardware store by two old farts who'd struck up one of those "Can you believe how things are today?" back-and-forths re: guns. Guys, get the fuck out of my way, or I'm gonna pack a shotgun full of these 6-32 stainless screws and leave you with a non-corroding hitch in your giddyup.

I'm that way in hardware stores, 9 out of 10 of my visits to which involve the fasteners aisle. No, I don't need any help. If I don't know what I'm looking for, it's because I'm trying to figure out a solution to a problem.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Small retailers have little to no say in determining prices, at least in CT. (Not sure about other places).

Pricing is determined by traffic volume, nearby income levels, the competitive landscape, and other factors.

More on Zone Gas pricing.

https://ctmirror.org/2023/04/02/ct-...affic,competitive landscape and other factors.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Most of my frustrations involve people telling unsolicited stories about family members, etc. or people digging for just the exact amount of change in their purse.

wicked likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The very next sentence says that gas station owners set their own prices.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is wholesale (i.e. distributor) pricing, not what the retailer chooses to sell for. It may put the baseline price higher in some places than others, because nobody is going to sell for less than what they paid for it wholesale. But the retailer is always free sell their gas for whatever they choose.

Most will voluntarily choose to stay within certain parameters because of competition. If they set the price way too high, the other stations nearby will draw the business away from them. But of course stations set their own prices.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was at Wendy's today and the woman ahead of me placed her order. I couldn't hear her, but the order sounded like it involved a few hoops. At the end she had to dig her credit card out of her jacket or wallet. C'mon. It's 2023. Take out your card from one of your three wallets in your bag and have it ready to end the transaction. This fat kid was hungry.

SFIND and Driftwood like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Went to Target for the first time in a while today and they had pretty much everything in HBA locked up behind glass. Yes, this is in an area that has higher theft than your suburban store. I didn't have the patience to deal with it. I'll drive 10 miles down the road and pick the things out without needing to call over employees and walk up to a mile-long checkout line.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Too many woke economic policies, I reckon

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

We always called it HABA in my grocery store days (including the "and"). Is that no longer the case?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

“Volkswagen, Panasonic, Tesla and now Panasonic again have passed up on Oklahoma because they're feeling that they can't attract and retain high quality employees, when they tell them they must move to a state like Oklahoma,” Rep. Mickey Dollens (R-OKC) said. Even R-Rep gets it."

Draft saved Draft deleted