1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It was HBA when I worked at Target many moons ago, but I’m agnostic on the term.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I expect nothing less from a member of the Monkees.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

More of a 19th century problem, really.

Teen's death in Wisconsin sawmill highlights "21st century problem" across the U.S.

Like most workplace accidents, the tragedy that took place at a Wisconsin sawmill in June didn't have to happen. In fact, Michael Schuls, a high school student who had turned 16 just weeks before his death, should never have been trying to unjam a stick stacker machine at Florence Hardwoods in the first place.

So concluded the Department of Labor, which on Dec. 19 announced a nearly $1.4 million fine against the mill where Schuls was fatally injured. An investigation by the agency's Occupational Safety and Health Administration found that Florence Hardwoods let several minors, including Schuls, perform maintenance on equipment without training and without following required safety procedures.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They'll be lucky to get Panaphonics or Sorny at this rate.

garrow likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh has transformed itself from a steel city to a health and tech hub. I wonder if not being batshit crazy had anything to do with it. (Tho your opinion of Yinzers may vary.)

Inky_Wretch, garrow and FileNotFound like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So has Birmingham. The state's still batshit, though.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Great!

At the rate we're going, people will be able to take that enormous dollar wealth, load it onto a wheel barrow and buy themselves a loaf of bread and some cheese.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

By my count that took you about 24 minutes to respond. Are you suddenly using dial-up?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The inheritance of 401(k)s and real estate now averaging some $400,000+ gives the "net worth" figure a big boost over anything we're accustomed to seeing.

More Americans Are Leaving Inheritances — and It’s Not Just Wealthy People

You can largely thank the Boomers. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I've argued with people over this: I'd say the average net worth of middle class Americans has to be approaching $1 million, including real estate.

I was told $1 million was a ridiculous figure, but homes in large swaths of the country are worth at least half that.

(My point: being a "paper" millionaire ain't what it used to be.)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    Driftwood likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Might be one of those things where median works better than mean, but I'd say you're right on target.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted