1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The thing that a lot of people don't take into account/get is "net worth" is not the same how much someone has in their checking account at the end of the month.
    Of course a lot of those folks' net worth/savings is what they have at the end of the month.

wicked likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

How one defines "the middle class" numerically is tricky (and, I'd also argue, fraught conceptually), but I've seen it defined income-wise as ranging from 2/3rds to twice the median. So if you use those markers, middle class household net worth would range from around $128K to around $384K.

And yes, median is a far better indicator of central tendency with respect to net worth. Median household net worth is $192K ... average net worth is $1.06M (which is ballpark-ish the 82nd percentile).

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

01555u-hine-girl-copy.jpg

An $80 Billion Industry Looks for Child Workers. It Keeps Missing Them.

One morning in 2019, an auditor arrived at a meatpacking plant in rural Minnesota. He was there on behalf of the national drugstore chain Walgreens to ensure that the factory, which made the company’s house brand of beef jerky, was safe and free of labor abuses.

He ran through a checklist of hundreds of possible problems, like locked emergency exits, sexual harassment and child labor. By the afternoon, he had concluded that the factory had no major violations. It could keep making jerky, and Walgreens customers could shop with a clear conscience.

When night fell, another 150 workers showed up at the plant. Among them were migrant children who had come to the United States by themselves looking for work. Children as young as 15 were operating heavy machinery capable of amputating fingers and crushing bones.

Migrant children would work at the Monogram Meat Snacks plant in Chandler, Minn., for almost four more years, until the Department of Labor visited this spring and found such severe child labor violations that it temporarily banned the shipment of any more jerky.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I find this practice abhorrent and would pay more for jerky in order to see it end.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know. Beef jerky is pretty expensive these days.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Seriously, unless you were someone who foresaw the kind of fiscal recklessness that would bring a 9 percent fiscal deficit to GDP, there is no way to forecast their silly GDP numbers -- which are meaningless to the actual economy as people experience it.

People who have no idea what GDP actually measures throw around a headline number that the BLS puts out like it's a political talking point.

People are confused right now, because the number and the bullshit spin around it (which is worse than ever) belies the fact that without our government having gone on a spending binge at very extreme levels, the same number that is being used to tell people not to believe their own lying eyes would be very negative at the moment. But few people actually looks at the components of the GDP number they put out or have any understanding of what GDP actually is, and those who do, aren't pounding narratives on the public.

GDP isn't economic growth, in the sense of what people think economic growth is. It's a number that counts a public debt binge as economic activity at a time when the public debt is being run up to extreme levels. ... when the reality is that in the long run it is the most destructive thing there is to healthy economic growth.

The inflation our wonderful monetary mandarins unleashed is still taxing people in a hidden way. ... even if you believe the nonsensical measures that understate prices, you are losing your purchasing power on the dollars they are destroying at a 3.14 percent annualized rate right now. But sentiment shifted over the last 3, 4 months due to the belief that the Federal Reserve won't do what it should do (because in election years it exists to protect the incumbent) and won't to try to tame it. And at their December meeting, Jay Powell gave a wink wink to that notion. That in turn, got the rusty debt machine moving a little again, and brought longer-term rates down (which the Fed doesn't control directly). At best that gets the bubble machine going, at worst, it brings inflation raging even more, like in the 1970s when Arthur Burns made the same exact mistakes we may be making right now of showing the resolve of a wet noodle in the face of the political pressures.

The massive problems underlying our economy (the same problems that were causing bank failures earlier haven't been solved after trillions of dollars of QE unleashed massive malinvestment globally, they are being masked artificially) have not gone anywhere, though, and even at the slightly higher rates our government has been dealing with, we are near the end of the game we have been playing. Let's see what the demand is for the massive amount of debt that is scheduled to be auctioned off early next year.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anecdotal evidence of the economy - my farmer brother-in-law has become a bourbon guy in the past year. He buys three or four high-end bottles, flips most and keeps one to drink with his buddies. They’ve even formed a collective and split expenses. On Christmas night, we tried seven bourbons. The cheapest bottle was $1,200. He had about $40,000 worth of bourbon in his house.

So, yay, farm subsidies. And, holy crap, how inflated is that bourbon bubble!?!

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If I understood this correctly -- total non-drinker here -- he must be doing really well as a bourbon seller!:) Or else, he's keeping a lot more than he's flipping. Wow, I cannot imagine having that much bourbon around.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't drink bourbon, but I know a single bottle of Pappy Van Winkle sells for thousands.
    Just give me a case of Miller Lite, and I'm good to go.

WriteThinking and wicked like this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Once upon a time I was hanging out with my then-roommate, her friend and a guy who was trying to impress her. (I suppose I was trying to impress her friend.)

Dude said he had some $700 bottle of tequila. He said he opened the bottle. He could've been serving from a flask for all I knew, I wasn't paying attention. I drank it. I couldn't tell you whether it was $17 tequila or $700 tequila.

I've never understood the fascination with high-end booze. It pretty much all tastes the same and the end result is the same.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Both!

His spare bedroom is now a warehouse for flipping. His home bar has a couple dozen bottles for drinking.

WriteThinking likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted