1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He’s having a right taken away from him without the proper course aided by law. Due process doesn’t begin and end with prison. As much as it sucks—because it’s reasonable to conclude he did what he’s accused of—he needs to be given his day in court and the laws governing the taking away of rights and privileges followed. That’s what Ragu is on about. We’re putting the cart before the horse and SCOTUS is likely to rule as such.

OscarMadison, maumann and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Supreme Court is supposed to act as an arbiter and safeguard for when we get things wrong. It's not supposed to be on the frontline. With what we have allowed it to be turned into, it doesn't even do a reliable job of being that check, in that it now changes what the actual constitution supposedly provides for periodically based on who was able to stack the court with who.

Regardless, having a court doesn't absolve us from trying to get things right -- and trying to always insure fairness that is consistent with some values -- without needing to rely on an arbiter.

To me, not seriously asking yourself whether these were fair processes (this deals with the basics of a democracy) in just banning someone from running for office, and just saying, "Well the court will deal with it" is like playing with fire and figuring that the fire department will deal with it.

And honestly? Would you feel that way if it was say, someone else you were more sympathetic toward claiming any other kind of civil right was being crapped on? "Sure, the governor of Texas did such and such by executive action, but I'm OK with it, because now the people it affects are free to go through an arduous legal process that offers no guarantee of getting their lost right back"?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This one's for Tommy

Two, one-two-three-four!
    Ev'rybody's talking 'bout
    MAGAism, Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
    This-ism, that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m
    All we are saying don't give Trump a chance
    All we are saying, don't give Trump a chance

Hit it
    C'mon, ev'rybody's talking about
    Ministers and grifters, rednecks and drifters

Revolution, devolution, masturbation, flagellation, regulation, integrations
    Meditations, United Nations, tweeteration,

Fatfuck Donnie, Dumb Doc Ronnie
    Talking head Tucker
    MAGA mothetfucker
    Mayor Rudy, tooty fruity
    Dumb bitch Greene
    Right wing machine
    Fascist judges
    Hare Krishna, Hare, Hare Krishna

Anothet time around the room
    Everybody's talking bout
    Gaslighting, infighting,
    Propaganda, god commanda
    Putin's puppet
    MAGA muppets
    Rigged elections
    Soft erections
    Toadstool dicks
    Fascist pricks

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

1. Trump is on pace to win the GOP nomination whether his name appears on the ballots in Colorado and Maine or not.
    2. Unless I'm mistaken*, neither state said he can't run for office; they said his name can't appear on their ballots. His supporters are free to write him in.

*I could be because I haven't dived deeply into it because I know it won't matter.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I generally agree with all of this. And I don't think any of it's going to hold up (and for the good of everyone, he needs to be soundly defeated in an election, not this way). But I am saying there is nothing wrong with pursuing this in court, because it is a question that needs to be answered, and quickly, because it very well could come up again. And the only way to get it quickly answered is pursuing it as a legal matter.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"It really was, you know.
    I saw it on the tee-vee."

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and Tarheel316 like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He does, right next to the “400 million guns” smartkey.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There is no constitutional right to be president

franticscribe and Smallpotatoes like this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The Republicans’ struggles to be a cohesive party are probably most evident in their tumultuous year in the House of Representatives.

Republicans narrowly took over the majority of the House in the 2022 midterms, took days to elect a speaker, then careened toward legislative crisis after legislative crisis that would have hurt the economy (the debt ceiling showdown; government shutdown threats). They opened an impeachment inquiry into President Biden that has struggled to get off the ground with actual facts. They kicked out their speaker and froze the House for three weeks while they fought over choosing another. It ended up being one of the least-productive sessions of Congress in modern times.

Republican strategists I talked to agreed that something irreparable has happened to the party. Healthy parties don’t freeze an entire legislative chamber that they control.

“They fought so hard to be a governing majority,” said strategist Alice Stewart, referring to House Republicans, “and they can’t even agree among themselves. And that’s bad.”

Then there’s the Republican presidential primary, where the front-runner is a candidate who has been twice impeached (including with votes from members of his own party), is facing 91 criminal charges, could face jail time and has been ruled by the Colorado Supreme Court as ineligible to appear on that state’s primary ballot.

“The party has been damaged for years,” said one Republican strategist, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations with party leaders. “And it’s not recoverable.”

Washington Post | The 5-Minute Fix

garrow and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I agree with this, whether you support it or not. Get a conviction -- hell, get a charge -- then jump to the next part of things.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado ruling says it can't accept write-ins for Trump.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted