1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am just going off the Facebook posts of my Ohio State friends.

I’m sure a trip through tOSU message boards would be glorious. This would be one: Ohio State Football Forum

TigerVols likes this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There wasn't. Of course, the NFL regular seasons used to be done by now. Also, there's an NFL game tonight to avoid what happened last year: The Sugar Bowl being played during the day not on New Year's Day.

Will be curious in two years if the NFL puts up a Thursday night game against the CFP quarterfinals on New Year's Day. Probably.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The NFL had no problem taking on the NBA's Christmas Day monopoly this year, but college football is different. It's the NFL's minor league after all, and what's good for the CFP is ultimately good for the NFL. But since Thursdays are Amazon Prime, they might do it in response to pressure from that outlet. Then again, does Prime want to run say, Bucs-Saints or Jets-Chargers up against a legit playoff game? The NBA is quite content to let college hoops keep March to itself.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Isn't the game on Saturday night because of the CFP semis on Monday? Makes sense since both are ESPN productions.

As for that game last night, woof. As Webster noted, and I believed going into it, Mizzou was going to have the motivation edge in a major way, which is a huge deal in these games, especially with so many people opting out/transferring. For Mizzou, beating Ohio State in a NY6 game is a statement. I don't believe OSU felt the same way, especially coming off the Michigan loss.

I think Georgia-Florida State may be borderline unwatchable for this reason. Florida State checked out the second they got snubbed from the playoff.

And I also believe Oregon should probably watch the fuck out because Liberty cares about that Fiesta Bowl a hell of a lot more than the Ducks do. The talent gap is too wide for Liberty to actually win that game, but it may be closer than the spread indicates.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ohio State couldn't score a single touchdown against Mizzou?

6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

I hate Ohio State with a fiery passion, but c'mon. Marvin Harrison Jr. didn't play, its starting QB transferred to Syracuse two weeks ago and its backup QB got hurt late in the first quarter against Mizzou.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. MileHigh

CFP is going to have three first-round games going against the NFL on a Saturday the next two years. It's why there is talk of starting the college football season a week earlier to avoid that beyond 2025.

Black Friday was always college football -- until the NFL dropped in this year.

Will see how the NFL tries to swing games next year on Christmas when it's on a Wednesday.

8. MileHigh

Yes. Avoids having to move the Sugar Bowl like last year to NYE for the MNF game.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Bucks are 139-17 since 2012 and 248-41 since 2002.

A few players missing should not stop them from scoring a touchdown against Missouri.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Said that last night when we were watching it ... I don't care if it's a third-string QB. The third-string QB at Ohio State should be better than that.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Third-string QB who won his bowl game in 1994. :)

[​IMG]

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Booooo.

Draft saved Draft deleted