1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Their "Name Image and Likeness" is worthless unless they're actually playing their sport.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obviously the current contract structure doesn't provide much incentive to play the complete season, or disincentive not to do so.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Would NIL contracts at a public school be subject to FOIA laws? Or are they run through a "separate" organization that is not officially part of the school?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You and your common sense posts can take your like and skedaddle.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The latter, I believe.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Doesn’t seem to be worthless at all.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Until some programs don’t include that language for any game not in the tournament.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That’s the equivalent of shouting “if you don’t want them running up score, then stop them.”

At some point, down 29 scholarship players and seeing guys who brought you to 13-0 say “screw it, I’m out” is going to weigh heavier than the eyes watching.

And guys were trying at the start. Eventually, Georgia’s full complement of varsity players was too much for JV backups.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Very few of those who are heading to the draft will be swayed by any amount of cash that any entity might be reasonably expected to pay. It would take at least $100K to get anybody to listen.
    As for those who are quitting their teams to go to another school, time's ticking; they don't have time between a bowl game and the start of the next semester to play a bowl game for pay, find a new program and enroll, etc.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I would love to read an APSE-winning explanatory on NIL. I've been out of the FBS college coverage scene for a few years. "NIL for Dummies"

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I heard on a podcast yesterday that some teams/players are on a per-game basis. I hadn't heard that before.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Might have been Joel Klatt on X who posted something resembling a solution to this mess -- push back the transfer portal open date and kill the winter signing day and have the schools work with athletes who want to transfer so they're eligible for the spring semester at their new schools. There's no other sport where the free agency starts between the end of the regular season and postseason. Two of the "big" bowl games have been unwatchable dreck. No one gives a shit if the Famous Toastery Bowl sucks. But when you have two games between two top-10 teams work out like the Cotton and Orange Bowls did, and your sport has a problem. In any normal world, Georgia vs. Florida State is a fascinating matchup. That was just a joke yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted