1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frustrations Mount at Washington Post as Its Business Struggles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 30, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, someone should tell Rupert Murdoch and Sheldon Adelson that.

For fuck's sake.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not quite sure I follow what's being argued here. Is it that if you're: A) rich; and 2) buy a newspaper, you're obligated to look past that investment's underperforming?

Liut and TigerVols like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"Social justice rests on the hate towards those that enjoy a comfortable position, namely, upon envy."

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Lots of really rich people own businesses and close them or lay off people and/or streamline their operations if/when the businesses underperform.

Exactly which businesses should these rich people subsidize out of their own pockets?

Liut likes this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

you can run a professional sports franchise as a loss leader because the valuations always go up. 20 years from now Bezos cant sell the Post for grossly more than he paid

BTExpress and I Should Coco like this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He can sell it for whatever someone else thinks it’s worth. If he sells it at a loss, it’s a rounding error in his monthly ivory backscratcher budget.

Slacker and matt_garth like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not really an argument, an observation.

That would depend entirely on the person buying it, and their reason for doing so.

Why did Henry Ford buy the Dearborn Independent?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    Liut likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If one is of a certain perspective, one can't really play along in these kinds of discussions without enduring a "Who'll think of the poor billionaires?" swipe or two. Nevertheless, it strikes me as ... intriguing ... to argue that the propriety of how a newspaper is managed depends on the worth of its owner's other businesses and investments.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Interesting. So the civil rights workers who fought for desegregation were motivated by envy?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to know - and I don't know - how Eli Saslow got away from The Post to the NYT.

Azrael likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That quote was from Hayek, and what he was calling "social justice" was "distributive justice."

Hayek also wrote, "Any kind of discrimination — be it on grounds of religion, political opinion, race, or whatever it is — seems to be incompatible with the idea of freedom under the law. Experience has shown that separate never is equal and cannot be equal."

So if by civil rights workers who fought for desegregation, you mean that they were simply (even though there was nothing simple about it) fighting for equality of opportunity for everyone. ... he was profoundly against any kind of discrimination. It's immoral.

But if anyone's idea of a civil rights fight takes it into the realm of allocating resources, goods and opportunities based on someone's subjective notions of what is just -- taking into account things like wealth, income and social status. ... he had a lot to say about how disastrous and immoral that is.

I wasn't thinking about that when I posted the quote. I was just thinking, "Rich guy. .. he owes everyone something."

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    justgladtobehere likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Again, so what?

Draft saved Draft deleted