1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We get monthly payments from the sale of my late brother-in-law's business. I don't touch any of my payment; it's all invested. Other family members take it and, unfortunately, feel the need to live off those funds. Others take what they've invested as a distribution when they can. As our banker tells us (but it doesn't get all the way through): Its a paper loss ... until you take out funds. Then it's a real loss.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I lost my job in September*, so the recent run-up's been kind of nice. My bottom line's pretty much where it was that fateful day**.

*By having written 'em a letter in which I told 'em I was retiring.

**The day they quit depositing paychecks in my checking account.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I thank my wife every day for watching after our finances, but she obsesses to the point of it being unhealthy. She loves details and minutiae. I don't.
    "How much did you pay for that floor molding we put in upstairs?" "I don't know, about $200, I think." "I need to know exactly to enter it into the spreadsheet." "Like I said, about $200, I think. What's it matter? I got it put in. That's what you wanted." "You don't know how much you paid?" "No. The f'ing receipt is behind my truck seat (along with about 10 others because that's what I do with receipts)." Stomp, stomp, stomp. Door opens and closes. "You paid $212.86." "Awesome. My life is now complete with that information. What do you want for supper?"

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You are a brave man, my friend.

5. Driftwood

I'm in charge of the physical. She is in charge of the fiscal.

wicked and doctorquant like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Forget diamonds. The greatest gift I provide for my wife is relieving her of the drudgery of, well, life.

Bills, insurance, taxes, pest control, car maintenance, veterinarian trips, registrations, etc.

She works her 40 hours and spends the rest of her time making things.

Dog8Cats, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  7. Driftwood

My wife and I are a perfect couple in terms of managing our life. We are each responsible for certain aspects of it and are good at it.
    I'm the chainsaw. She's the scalpel.

wicked and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When I bought our car two years ago I drove it to her store to show it to her. She asked why I didn't take her to help pick out the car.

"Because you would have said, 'I think the blue one looks prettier than the gray one.' "

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This post actually made me feel good. Because I was just about to post how I really only check my finances, with any curiosity/interest, maybe once a year, usually around late October/November when I get a statement regarding my 401k. Otherwise, I barely think about my money at all.

That's probably not the best way to go about financial planning, I know. But I just don't know enough, and I'm not interested enough, to do much more than that. Maybe that will change as I approach retirement within the next 10 years. But for now, that's where I'm at.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Driftwood

I will say this, thanks to my wife, sometime shortly after tomorrow, she will fully fund both our Roth IRAs for the year.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Many decades ago when grocery stores actually had bag boys dressed in shirts, ties, pants, and store vests, I was taking a women's two buggies full of groceries out in a complete frickin deluge. "I don't know where my car is." "OK, ma'am. What kid of car do you have?" "It's blue." "OK, is a Ford, Chevy, what do you drive?" "I don't know all those details. My husband handles all that. I just know it's blue."
    My head dropped, and I couldn't have been wetter if you'd thrown me in the river by the time we found this lady's car.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the things that really ticks me off about self-checkout is they will still only have one checker, no matter how big the back-up. Was at a grocery store today, saw that they weren't opening more check stands, returned my items and left.

I would love to go through a self-checkout line and act very clueless forcing the monitor to scan all my items and bag them. Then pay. haha.

Draft saved Draft deleted