1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They kept Alvin Kamara on the bench for Jalen Hurd.

They kept Jamal Lewis on the bench for Mark Levine (because the freshman didn't know the blocking assignments well enough.) :rolleyes:

Peyton Manning didn't start until the first two QBs were injured, even after No. 2 (Todd Helton) told the coaches "I'm a baseball player. I don't know what I'm doing out there."

It's what they do.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    Driftwood likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Iowa's offense is offensive.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of Baton Rouge, its resident SEC school is in the process of getting embarrassed by Wisconsin. They're making Tanner Mordecai look like a first-round draft pick. Kind of reminds me of the 2021 LSU-Auburn game, when Bo Nix got turned into the Incredible Hulk with a soft passing touch.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not sure where these officials are from but they are doing Liberty no favors. Bogus PI in the EZ, bogus no-call on the facemask. And then a Liberty guy has hit helmet ripped off during a tackle, and no penalty.

That said, it won't make any difference. Oregon is clearly better.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Flames still not on pace for the worst showing in a bowl this season.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what I was expecting, or what I was hoping. But I have this strange sense of sad inevitability with the continued separation of the Power Five from the rest of major-college football.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

LSU and Wisconsin about to hit the over in the third quarter. With equal help from the Badgers.

8. tapintoamerica

But we can always hope.

9. tapintoamerica

I can’t figure out why the committee put Liberty in an NY6 game. Nobody there. If there were any viewers at the start, they have tuned to the LSU-Wisconsin game.

10. dixiehack

1993 was my freshman year at Bama so I’ve had some “30 years ago” nostalgia. That was the first year of Penn State in the Big 10 and the SWC and Big 8 were months away from announcing their semi-merger.

There were four major conference teams from that year that no longer will be by fall (Oregon State, Rice, Temple and Wazzu). Conversely, BYU and Utah have made the leap from WAC to Bog 12 and Cincinnati and Louisville now have conference homes after a shaky existence as independents. And UCF just finished its first year in the Big 12 three decades after getting bounced by Youngstown State to start the 1-AA playoffs.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given Disney's financial struggles, I've never understood putting three New Years bowl games on against each other - particularly two SEC-Big 10 match-ups (being played less than 90 (fixed)- miles apart no less). Sure you have the Rose Bowl 2 p.m. window - but one of these games should be an ACC-Big 12 match-up at least.

maumann likes this.
  12. dixiehack

With Tahoe in between?

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted