1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This wasn't McCarthyism. Harvard didn't blacklist her because of a mob calling her ridiculous boogity boogity things. It did everything it could to protect her -- well, past the point that anyone in any other position would have survived. If anything, she enjoyed a protected status that most others wouldn't have.

There is a difference between shaming. ... and McCarthyism. I agree that it's not the role I want Congress playing, it's divisive, but I don't think our country is weaker is because of it. Elise Stefanik has a bully pulpit. She's not the first opportunistic politician to use that pulpit.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Harvard clearly wasn't going to give in to the pressure regarding her idiotic testimony before Congress, but the plagiarism accusations and evidence were too much to ignore.

3. The Big Ragu

They did their best to ignore it.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I don't think his opinion on DEI is prompted by the post Oct. 7 protests.

5. The Big Ragu

I have no idea what is really in his head or his heart -- if he actually has one. I'm not completely unbiased, because I know some things about him, his business, um, ethics, and his massive ego, which make me shy about being on the same side as him on anything.

But he's a Jewish guy, married to an Israeli woman, who although very opinionated, had never had much to say about that stuff until those student groups signed their names to that letter holding Israel responsible for what Hamas did. That really was what awakened him. I think at a certain point, the attention it was giving him became his true cause. He likes attention.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There is a little ... there are only so many ways you can write certain things that commonly appear in work such as Gay's ... but not that much. She is ... "was" actually, because she hasn't published scholarly work in quite awhile ... a plagiarist who should long ago have been shown the door. And while Harvard will bear the brunt of the embarrassment, Stanford's got some 'splainin' to do, too.

outofplace and Azrael like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I'm curious how much scrutiny the work of academic administrators usually gets, and how thorough.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  8. doctorquant

Usually not much, and only when they've stepped in it some other way (c.f. Ward Churchill). But the vast majority were faculty ... tenure-seeking/-earning faculty ... at the start of their careers. (Why the president of, e.g. Harvard, must have been a productive scholar at some point is an interesting side question.) So to the degree that their administrative authority is grounded in their scholarly credibility, arguably more scrutiny across the board is warranted.

Azrael likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That it took so long for Gay's plagiarism to surface speaks to me of how little academic research gets read even by other academics.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. doctorquant

Hey now! My piece on the non-unidimensionality of [CONCEPT] flew off the shelves!

X-Hack, Azrael and Michael_ Gee like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

If you believe what Ackman has said, her scholarly credibility was grounded in her skin color and gender. He says that the search committee ruled out any consideration of candidates who did not meet the DEI office's criteria.

I am not going to comment on her academic credentials, because its a world that is foreign to me. But putting aside the quality of her work -- which I am certain has been a debate others have had -- it's not as if others in her world who weren't afraid of being branded a racist pointed out that the number of peer-reviewed journals Gay had published was light.

12. doctorquant

I'm not familiar with the journals in political science, but if I'd published "only" twice* in, say, the Academy of Management Journal, that would put me at about the 95th percentile. Her "only" 11 might be one helluva run, although I doubt it.

*I likely would have gotten one in had the Academy not started a methods-only journal a year earlier ... that's ultimately where I published that piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted