1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You could probably provide him with a little perspective.

Azrael likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Then pretty clearly the election of Barack Obama ended race questions like the one he goes on to answer at some length in Newsweek fourteen-and-a-half years later.

I understand he's asserting his own feelings from that night, but it's pretty solipsistic even as a rhetorical device - even if he's just using it as a set-up and is about to argue the opposite, for example - it's a very weak play.

Did he not think lots and lots of race questions would persist, even in light of that election?

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That's kinda shitty.

If Tim Scott were to come out today and say "Racism doesn't exist in America," I, as a white man, can't point out the utter nonsense in that assertion?

5. The Big Ragu

He didn't write "Racism doesn't exist in America."

6. Regan MacNeil

Wasn't talking to you or about you. No interest in engaging you. Thanks.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If the underlying fear is that the Ivy League and Ivy-adjacent schools are brainwashing impressionable minds into the evils of liberalism, they seem to be doing a wretched job of it, considering how many right wing politicians and libertarian finance bros and arch-conservative thought leaders have degrees from the Ancient Eight.

garrow and doctorquant like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

And he still didn't say anything like "racism doesn't exist in America." (neither has Tim Scott, as far as I know, FWIW).

His point was that when a black man got elected president -- the highest office in the world -- he rejoiced, and symbollically he moved on from the "project of race." He was contrasting himself to people who can't seem to "quit race."

9. Regan MacNeil

If you're going to keep replying to me, even after I said I had no interest in engaging you, then I'm going to let you know about it. If you want to suspend me, be my guest. You basically run the site anyway and have wanted to get rid of me for years.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. doctorquant

Mine was kind of a joke (and after posting it I was leery it would get people too riled up), but buried within is a truth (at least as far as I see it): You would encounter absolutely no resistance to offering that perspective on that, but change things around juuuuuust a bit and you'd be about as welcome as hornets at a picnic.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm so redneck that when I see the letters DEI I just naturally assume Teresa Earnhardt's fucked something else up.

12. doctorquant

I don't think that's "the underlying fear" behind the reaction to all this. (If it is, then it's just more left/right donkey/elephant bullshit that I care not a whit about.) Rather, as I see it, it's an example of an enormously influential elite setting and reinforcing rules and expectations that it refuses to be bound by.

Draft saved Draft deleted