1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That's a fair argument if the cynic in me allowed me to believe that was the true reason rather than protecting the fossil fuel industry **Pilot, cough cough** and targeting the "types of people who drive EVs" as one local politician flat out said.
    But you do make a valid point.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Haslams will make out fine. They’ve got the prime real estate to add in more chargers as that becomes necessary.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Finding ways to tax EVs that use the roads is one of the things a lot of states are struggling with - an alternative would be using a "tracker" to gauge miles used - but I doubt ANY state will be able to get people to accept putting a monitor in their car.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. For most people, vehicle and driver's licensing is the most common way they encounter government, which requires them to pay a sum of money for doing something they in most cases must do every day, that is purported to be for the maintenance of roads regardless of the condition of the roads in their actual area (which in my neck of the woods is often terrible as public funding is no match for freeze/thaw cycles) at a location that is often inconveniently located and requires them to waste their time in line and/or fulfill bizarre and unreasonable complications in the process. For example, the Secretary of State in Michigan could not take credit or debit cards for the longest time because they either could not or would not pay transaction fees to the credit card companies. Further, in Michigan, one's tabs normally come due on one's birthday, which is always a great way to hand over your birthday money. I remember sitting outside a Secretary of State office on a cold day (my birthday is in January) waiting for them to reopen after a bizarre 12:30-1:30 lunch break closure and thinking this is probably the closest I will get to Soviet-style bureaucracy in my life.

Driftwood likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not sure if you still live in Michigan or not, but it seemed as if every 4-lane intersate or state highway we drove on during MACtion 2023 was under some sort of major construction.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My tags are due this month (Alabama staggers expiration dates based on the first letter of your last name) and I have to get my license address changed at the same time. So I get it. But still, somebody’s gotta pay for stuff and $28 might barely cover dinner for two at a fast-casual eatery these days.

7. Driftwood

Ohhhh, here if you renew online (credit card) or even go down to the courthouse and use the kiosk (credit card) instead of waiting in line, you pay the extra charge.

8. Driftwood

They are probably plotting ways to go after Buc-ee's.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That's not surprising. Whitmer ran on road repairs five years ago, and the construction season is obviously limited by geography.

I'm in Minnesota now where most of the problems are local due to the city's topography, climate and soil structure (traps water near the surface which creates perfect conditions to create potholes).

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Star Man still believes this stupid numbnuts stole billions in cash -I am audibly laughing.

I wouldn't trust this idiot to mail a postcard, forget engineering a heist.

The man cannot even wipe his ass. start there and follow the progression.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Large trucks should pay the most, followed by SUVs and then smaller vehicles due to the amount of damage they do to the roads.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Oregon is piloting a vehicle miles traveled tax that charges you based on how much you drive. That's more equitable than a gas tax.

https://www.myorego.org/how-it-works/

Draft saved Draft deleted