1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

upload_2024-1-4_20-32-4.png

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I complain on most of these guys, but in this case, he's just coming back on his COVID year.

he played 2018, reshirted 2019, played 2020, 21, 22 and 23. The only reason he has eligibility is 2020 otherwise he would have been done after the 2022 season

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Must be some extenuating circumstances. 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2023 = 4 years of playing time, which is all you get.

Seventh-year guys at Okie State are academic juniors, right?

maumann likes this.
  4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

As I said, he gets a year back because of COVID: that's the extenuating circumstance. You play no snap, one snap or every snap in 2020 and you got a free year.

Under normal circustances, his four years would have been 2018, 2020, 2021 and 2022. Since 2020 doesn't count, he gets 2024.

It's at least better than the guys still playing after four redshirts

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That’s not right I don’t think. Yes 2020 is a freebie, but it didn’t add a +1 to everybody’s account AND let you play 2020 as a mulligan.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Seven years old college down the drain.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What about 2023? Does one of his seasons at Michigan not count?

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You forgot 2023. I think the question assumed he got 2023 because he got a free year after 2020, but it didn’t explain how he got 2024 back.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Many years ago I went to broadcast a game at North Alabama. They had a Japanese kicker named Fukuta.
    I said, "I speak waaaay too slowly to say that on the air."

maumann likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Early in my time teaching here, I was confronted with Vietnamese names for the first time in my life. Believe me, they're not all named "Nguyen." At least a few are named "Ng." I was terrified to give that one a go.

Draft saved Draft deleted