1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’ve had some unfortunate combinations involving Ho

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not to be that guy, but you're forgetting 2023.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's a mnemonic device for intro stats re: hypothesis testing that goes, "If the p-value is low, H0 must go." Once I had a student hash it up to the tune of, "If the p-value is low, say no to the ho."

Michael_ Gee and Spartan Squad like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Slacker likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

I remember that quite well. It was quite the stir around the Bay. Still don’t know how you let that through.

Not related to Hos, but they had to leave the plane where it was while they investigated for a period of time. I was coming back from my honeymoon and the burnt wreckage was still there. It was quite eerie.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No I didn't forget 2023.

2020 does not count for anything against your time played. They gave everybody in every sport a blanket extra year regardless. So no matter how many other years of eligibility you had / have, you got an extra year. So he played his four years and he gets a year for 2020 -- that is 2024. 2023 seems like it's the extra year but it's technically his fourth year of eligibility, even though it was his fifth year of playing.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No in what I wrote, if COVID had never happened, he would have been done after 2022. Those were his four years to play 2018, 2020, 2021 and 2022 around a 2019 redshirt. Because of COVID, 2020 doesn't count for anything, despite playing that full season. So his fourth year of eligibility is 2023 PLUS he gets the blanket free year due to COVID.

9. Spartan Squad

That makes more sense. It wasn’t clear you meant he played through 2023 because of his redshirt and then got an extra year because 2020 was a free be.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bowman is eligible because even though he played in 2021 and 2022 at Michigan, and at Texas Tech in 2019, he only appeared in three games in each season, thus preserving a year of eligibility in all three cases. So the only years he has played that officially count against his four years of eligibility are 2018 and 2023. His 2020 season didn't count, and he might even have ANOTHER year of eligibility remaining.

I won't say he's "gamed" the system. But he certainly has taken advantage of it. According to his Okie State bio, he graduated from Texas Tech, where he last played in 2020-21. So he played/will play as a grad student at Michigan and at Okie State for four seasons. Guy should have his MA and be working on his PHD at this point.

The old 5-years-to-play 4 model worked well for decades. I'm not sure having 25- or 26-year-olds still playing college athletics is exactly what the NCAA envisioned when it instituted the grad-transfer system. Bowman is not a "student" in any way, shape or form.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The ju-ju is working already. New Tulane HC Jon Sumrall's first portal guy is 5-star QB Ty Thompson from Oregon.*

*Commit. Not signed.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Football recruiting analysis remains a crapshoot. If this guy were really a ***** talent, Oregon wouldn't have taken two transfers in the same year. They were essentially telling him to pursue his opportunities elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted