1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, actually ...

OscarMadison and franticscribe like this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Now you've done it. I choose pistols at dawn.

(Can I borrow a pistol?)

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think race is the third rail of any "well, actually." Probably best looked at from a safe distance rather than touched upon.

But elitist one-upsmanship - along with discussions of squash, Newport and Staffordshire dogs - is a habit of northeastern cocktail party society.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2009/03/fellow_cornellians_anne_coulte.html

The kind of not-quite-elite-enough-elitism being directed at Rufo feels pretty harmless.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I question whether they belong here, too.

Azrael likes this.
  6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

My current read is Six Frigates, which centers around the founding of the US Navy.

The culture of dueling was a big problem in the early days of the navy, with sailors ready to turn and fire at the slightest perception of insult. It was against the law at that point - and many of the older founding fathers were vocally against the practice - but both those FFs and the law was like, "yeah this is terrible and probably illegal ... but what can we do? That dude must preserve his honor!"

Driftwood likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They can’t attack on her being a black woman without saying the quiet part out loud, so they attack on plagiarism.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Olbermann got some sort of blowback from Ann Coulter related to his Cornell degree, IIRC.

Azrael likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seems overtly political to me.

We Sat Down With the Conservative Mastermind Behind Claudine Gay’s Ouster

None of that happened by accident. As Rufo acknowledged to me, Gay’s resignation was the result of a coordinated and highly organized conservative campaign. “It shows a successful strategy for the political right,” he told me. “How we have to work the media, how we have to exert pressure and how we have to sequence our campaigns in order to be successful.”

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

And the media responds with a Rufo hagiography. Brilliant!

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Tort reform …

Draft saved Draft deleted