1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowl thread: Days of Signs and Roses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Dec 5, 2023.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is greyshirting still a thing?

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I am today years old to learn there’s blue and green shirts

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There appear to be a few more.
    The Miami Beach Bowl (2014-16) migrated to Frisco, Texas and is known as the Frisco Bowl.
    The Oahu Bowl (1998-2000) moved to Seattle, where it played for two years before being pronounced dead.
    And who can forget the game once known as the MagicJack St. Petersburg Bowl? It moved across the bay to Tampa in 2018 and is now known as the Gasparilla Bowl.
    There may be many others for all I know.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Like they give a shit. Increase those sponsor dollars and TV ratings. All is good.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Daddy should have named the boy Sue, but it looks like he toughened up anyway.

Actually, the family should have changed its name long ago. I still recall, decades later, an engagement announcement (remember those?) in the newspaper (and those?) in which the woman was on her way to becoming Mrs. Rape. Wondered then, still wonder now, how she felt about that.

EDIT: Looks like I'm a few pages behind on this thread ...

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Emerald Bowl/Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl at the Giants' ballpark became the Redbox Bowl at Levi's Stadium, and then died.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This doesn’t make a lot of sense:

Quarterback Malachi Nelson, the No. 1 recruit in the 2023 class, just committed to transfer to Boise State.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A dude I know changed his last name when he got married. He grew up with the last name Dick, and changed it to Dickson. He didn’t want his kids to go through what he had gone through in school.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fifth grade.

Had a girl transfer into our small Catholic grade school when he family moved from Kansas.

Mary Elizabeth Dick.

She didn’t last the year.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"Sunrise, folks! Woo-hoo!"

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Lincoln Riley started shopping the portal for QBs, so Nelson hit the portal himself.

He'll likely start at Boise State, so it's probably a decent move.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Silicon Valley Football Classic in San Jose 2000-2004. Some genius thought playing it in Spartan Stadium on New Years Eve night was a great idea. Good crowd the first year with a Destiny's Child concert (before Beyonce went solo), but crowds and ratings gradually plummeted afterward. 5,494 attended the last one between Troy and Northern Illinois, which kicked off 20 minutes late due to a power outage.

Draft saved Draft deleted