1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure Mrs. Ackman was delighted to have been made a Wikipedia-cribbing punchline by her own husband.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you ever want to have a conversation about Bill Ackman (will anyone else but me care?). ... I have dozens of examples of 1) the biggest ego you can imagine, and 2) someone with absolutely no shame. I can give you a few examples of him getting his teeth kicked in financially (almost entirely due to how he rubs people the wrong way. ... others with a lot of money and big egos make it their sense of purpose to try to humiliate him to the point that it has become sport. ... and somehow Ackman slides right on and gets richer anyhow).

Things that would devastate you and I. ... roll right off of him. He will move right on to the next thing, same as he always does, and he'll be "successful" because he is never deterred.

In the case of Nero Oxman, I seriously doubt that she had no idea who and what she was marrying (the people who can't stand Bill Ackman could make up their own Forbes list),. ... and that she cares way more about the glass penthouse on the upper west side than she does about a few days of wikipedia-cribbing stories (which if she's anything like her husband, won't faze her in the least).

I could be wrong. I know way more about him than I do about her. Just a hunch.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The temptation to run plagiarism checks on some of the colleagues who seriously rubbed me the wrong way is STRONG.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

A lot of the ones who become college presidents get that skillset by toiling in academia on the administrative side after distinguishing themselves enough in their research (and securing grant money). As deans and provosts, etc., they’re fundraising and dealing with different constituencies . Can a CEO or politician do that more effectively? Maybe? But they don’t have the benefit of an academic
    background themselves.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Tough on China.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I lost my quotes, so apologies for this being way after the fact and without attribution.

Re. Amazon City in Nashville. Holy wasted opportunity, Batman! Of all the divisions they wanted to relocate to Nashville, they chose retail? The remnants of so many broad- and narrowcasting ventures are still here and still doing business and it never occurred to them to move their entertainment/production/cultural/whatever they call it arm here instead? Start making sense.

About Dr. Gay in particular and plagiarism in general... First, no, everyone doesn't do it. Some of us work/worked very hard at research, creation, and our craft to try to carve out space for new ideas in old arenas. I have experienced this in both academic and public milieus. So have friends and colleagues in both areas. I have tried hard to not make this personal and I am failing miserably at it.

If you've ever seen someone else's name on your work, you will get why we can feel sympathy for Dr. Gay, but at the same time we can remember the sting of being told that we need to understand because it is more important to elevate unheard voices, we can always do more work, it is somehow okay because the other person has the ear and attention of more important people, they are important and we should be honored. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I am aware that the people involved with what happened at Harvard were going after Dr. Gay for reasons that had little to do with academic ethics. What she did was not okay, but then it was not okay when Joe Biden did it, when Jill Biden did it, or when anyone else does it. Did she steal material for her dis? She deserved to be removed for that, not because she was a BIPOC with specific political leanings.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted