1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

George Stephanopolous got hold of Congressman Tony Gonzales this morning and refused to turn loose. Made him repeatedly say "Well that's true but..." as he tried to reconcile his public position that Trump was way over the line regarding 1/6 and disrupting the transfer of power with his current support of Trump's presidential candidacy. I almost felt sorry for the guy after a while, because the real reason is that he can't say anything without getting cut off at the ankles and run out of the party.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You endorse the fascist insurrectionist. Gotcha.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Of course

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And, again ... he told the people who raided the Capitol that he "loved" them.

Betting his wives hadn't heard that word. Or his children.

But a bunch of people who were willing to raid the Capitol in an attempt to keep him in power.

I'd ask MAGA to rethink their stance, but thinking seems to be out of their realm.

garrow likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"No, I don't hate you, Donald. I dread you."
    --- Kay Adams, NYC, October 1979

from Francis Ford Coup-pola's "The Donfather" based on the international bestseller by Mario Qzo

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

realm — or ability

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Both. Probably shouldn't use "realm." Not only because they don't know what it means, but also because they're too proud to look it up.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He didn't want to stop it at all, he wanted it to escalate until he could justify sending in military forces and declaring martial law.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Being president of a multi-campus state university system is a bit different (the equivalents of being a college president in that scenario would be the chancellors of the various campuses, particularly the flagship). There you're definitely a step removed from 0n-campus issues and almost your entire job is external affairs. That's where I'd say being a business executive or politician makes a lot of sense (as long as you're willing to listen to your chancellors on issues impacting student and academic life).

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I haven't looked all that closely myself, but isn't that pretty much what Gay did? And Ackman's MIT professor wife?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so. I'm talking seriously boilerplate stuff ... "We received a total of N survey responses, a response rate of X.X%."

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It’s a couple of posters trying to perpetuate a narrative that this absolutely positively has nothing to do with freedom of speech ending when it doesn’t line up with a world view.

Draft saved Draft deleted