1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh of course, silly me for thinking there should be transparency in government.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Glad for your good health! Bovine idioms aside, it's just best practice to get other opinions, as I recently found.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah. This baffles me. No. This amazes me. I cannot imagine not telling my boss I was having surgery.

We should definitely be talking more about this. He is the person who, in concert with the president, prosecutes wars -- and no one outside his office knew where he was.

His deputy didn't know, and she was on leave in like Puerto Rico or something.

I have a very close personal friend in very high places at NORTHCOM who told me yesterday they knew he was unavailable, but not where he was or why he was out.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a lot of the Trump/Biden polling is more about people "supporting" Trump not wanting him to go to jail. But I think when they are confronted with the question of who they want the GOP nominee to be it might not be Trump. Also, I think if it ends up being Hailey v. Biden - it's probably worse news for Biden. His re-election bid seems predicated on the idea that Trump will be the nominee. The entire re-election narrative seems built around it.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If through whatever happy miracle Fatfuck vanishes from the scene, whoever replaces him will still be splattered cheek to cheek with his orange goo, and can be attacked on that basis.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That brings back memories.

I wore that exact eye/headpiece when I underwent radial keratotomy surgery to correct my near-sightedness when I was 21. I was awake during the procedure, and still remember it vividly, partly because my forced-open eyes were up there on the screen on the ceiling/wall across from me and I couldn't help but watch the whole thing while it was going on.

Kind of strange, almost out-of-body experience, but actually, it didn't hurt during it; I just felt the pressure on the cornea/eye when the doctor made the incisions. Was given valium that knocked me out good on the car ride home, and my dad barely got me to manage to walk into the house while he held me up. I slept the whole rest of the day and into the next afternoon.

And then went and covered a high school football game as a stringer that night.

Basically, I went from 20-400 vision to 20-20 eyesight almost overnight. And the correction lasted about 25 years before natural, age-related deterioration began again, as I had been told during initial preparation for the surgery that it probably would. I kept that doctor's business card in my wallet for the duration, believe it or not, "Just in case I ever wake up blind, or something," as I once told one of my brothers.

Nowadays, people would undergo LASIK or some such similar procedure.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    I Should Coco and Driftwood like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I had eye surgery after a blowout fracture suffered in a car wreck. The worst pain I have felt in my entire life was the next morning when the surgeon came in to check on me and thumbed my eyelid open to take a look. I cannot imagine being awake through something like that while awake. I have a developing cataract that will have to be dealt with eventually, but I'm in no hurry. I know that's not a big deal as surgery goes, but my lizard brain remains unconvinced. The surgery I underwent was far more serious (the floor of my eye socket was gone and my eyeball was trying to sink into my maxillary sinus, and they put in a new plastic floor) so it's not a valid comparison... but there's nothing rational about it.

The definition of "minor surgery" is "surgery on someone else".

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted