1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Best money I ever spent. I had PRK because of my corneas. My wife had LASIK. We did it in 2010. Waking up and being able to tell what time it was still sticks in my mind.

tapintoamerica and wicked like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm assuming she means defunded schools and four day school weeks.

Slacker likes this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Ugh. I don't know. Your description of your surgery almost made my stomach (and my eyeballs!) drop. It seems to me you are probably perfectly sane in your desire to never want anyone to do anything to your eye(s) again.

4. WriteThinking

I know, right? It was, um, eye-opening, to say the least, and I, too, always thought it was money well spent, even if it wasn't going to last forever. This was back when radial keratotomy was almost new -- just out of the experimental stages -- and, with insurance, I paid $1,600 per eye. I had first looked into it when I was 18, but was told then that patients had to be at least 21, and I got it as soon as I could.

Driftwood and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Truth is that other than that moment, it wasn't bad at all. I was fully under anesthesia for the actual surgery. I don't know of another way that he could have gotten a look, as I don't think I could have willingly opened it for him to look at. The kicker was that I didn't get to surgery until three weeks after it happened, and my various torn eye muscles had healed up into a ball of scar tissue that they could not tease apart and reattach. It left me with double vision, and the damaged eye was my dominant eye. Playing pool is gone forever.

The delay was because my wife was in ICU with serious injuries plus scheduling problems related to getting eye imaging done as well as the Christmas and New Years holidays.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I had PRK, too, because I was -9.00 and -7.00, and so much cornea had to be reshaped that they couldn't waste any on a LASIK flap.

Wife had PRK a year or so later and had tremendous pain as the epithelial layer was regrowing. Needed Vicodin and ice packs. To me it was like having an eyelash sometimes getting in your eye. An annoyance but no real pain.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Please tell me that there will be a live audio feed. Please. I've been good, I swear.

Deskgrunt50, matt_garth and HanSenSE like this.
  8. WriteThinking

Wow, what a time that was for you. I'm glad you and your wife both got out of the accident alive. And this all makes me appreciate (again) my whatever vision I do have. As I get older, one of my worst fears is the possibility of suffering from macular degeneration. This is particularly so because I love to read, and I can't imagine -- or rather, I loathe the idea of -- not being able to as I you get older that becomes one of the greatest past times and pleasures in life. I don't know how I would handle that, and the condition just seems to be so common lately. But maybe we're just hearing about it more.

9. WriteThinking

I laughed when I read that. But yeah, it would be something to hear.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. WriteThinking

It'll be funny when the kids decide they don't want to go to work.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

President Biden recently met with a distinguished group of historians ( Eddie Glaude Jr., Sean Wilentz, Annette Gordon-Reed, Beverly Gage, Heather Cox Richardson and Jon Meacham). Remember when Trump used to do this sort of thing?

[​IMG]

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Going blind would be just below losing my mental faculties on the list of possibilities that frighten me most as I age. I'm an omnivorous reader, have been since second grade. I largely run on bifocal glasses now, but my best corrected eyesight involves wearing a contact lens to fix nearsightedness and an eye patch over the bad eye. The problem with that is that I basically can't read a book in that contact, so I push up the eyepatch and close my left eye and read with the right (eyepatch side) eye.

I get some funny looks when I do that...

Draft saved Draft deleted