1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You watch. If by some stretch, Musk ends up closing down X/Twitter, you’ll be seeing MAGAs claiming that the Dems used a Biden-mind trick to make him buy the company so that it would fail.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

DEI thread

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Elon Musk conversing with one of the Krassensteins. Now I know this is the dumbest possible timeline.

4. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Are you using Bluesky? I got a code earlier this week but I haven't activated it

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No, I never acted on it. I need to get off my lazy butt and try it.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I know you didn't ask me this :D but I've been meaning to come here and mention I'm on Bluesky but it's sort of...meh? It means well, and I would activate the code b/c Fuckface Musk will tank Twitter at some point & it's good to have some place else to go.

But--and I say this somewhat ironically as someone staunchly left of center and fully invested in the idea 2024 is about preserving democracy--it's a depressing echo chamber of left-wing doom & gloom. Obviously, Fuckface Musk is trying to run off the lefties and turn his joint into Nazi Central, but even if you are left of center, Twitter still offers a base beyond politics. You can go there to talk sports, music, movies, whatever and largely ignore the Nazis. Politics is a bigger part of Twitter and will continue growing, but for those of us who have been there for 10+ years, we've all got our feeds where the majority of the stuff is about fun stuff. Bluesky doesn't have that organic infrastructure yet, and the ratio of doom and gloom to everything else is reversed, largely b/c they know there are few if any Nazi bots to ruin the day.

So again, I'd go there, b/c eventually it will be the only place to be. But it's got a long way to go to create what initially made Twitter fun.

garrow, wicked, rtse11 and 1 other person like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Per a spokesperson for the Securities and Exchange Commission: "The SEC's @SECGov X/Twitter account has been compromised. The unauthorized tweet regarding bitcoin ETFs was not made by the SEC or its staff."

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

apartheid clyde

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This whole thing has been hilarious to follow.

The crypto bubble world has been in a speculative mania for a while anticipating when the SEC will approve a bitcoin ETF. There is a deadline of today on them approving the various applications financial firms have sent their way.

Putting aside whether bitcoin is a security. ... apparently someone hacked the SEC's twitter account and posted that they had approved the funds. ... and chaos ensued in the prices of various cryptocurrencies.

I was going to post, then didn't have the time, and I wasn't sure if it should have gone here or on another thread.

As someone sitting with a tub of popcorn, my general attitudes ia that people get what they deserve with this stuff.

The fact that it was a hacked Twitter account that led to a shit show makes it all the better.

wicked and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Bingo.

Draft saved Draft deleted