1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

How about ... "The results of Israel's actions are the fruit of Palestinian choices"?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In specific reference to dead journalists?

No thanks.

2muchcoffeeman and Regan MacNeil like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In the spirit of her other big pieces, "Hugo Chavez was a great man," and "Tianmen Square happened because of. ... capitalism." She's disgusting.

What disgusts me about people like her. ... it was "war criminals" before the blood was even dry on October 6th, so it isn't like she sat back, watched how Israel has prosecuted its response and now is arguing, "Woah, that's wrong."

Every acknowledgment of what Hamas did, every acknowledgment of antisemitism. ... is glossed over by her, and followed with, "They always use it as an excuse to be WAR CRIMINALS."

There is a long and painful history of Jewish businesses and institutions being targeted by antisemites. The communications experts who lobby on Israel’s behalf know how to weaponize this trauma, so they invariably cast campaigns designed to challenge Israel’s discriminatory and violent policies as hateful attacks on Jews as an identity group.

We know how the next chapters of this story go. Hamas’s horrific 7 October attack. Israel’s furious determination to exploit those crimes to do what some of
    the government’s senior leaders had long wanted to do anyway

She may be right about outside pressure from the outside world being something that can get Israel to rein it in. But morally, she is consistently on the wrong side of everything. What is going on is not the "oppressors / oppressed" narrative she exists to promulgate.

X-Hack likes this.
  6. doctorquant

I don't mean this as a snippy response (and mine wasn't specifically about journalists), but how many of those dead journalists had ... ahem ... other gigs? Alternatively ... how many of 'em were suckered into being in particularly dangerous "places" by Hamas just so that Hamas could further its narrative?

X-Hack likes this.
  7. doctorquant

This right here from Klein ... The communications experts who lobby on Israel’s behalf know how to weaponize this trauma ... Goddamn, anybody else writing it and I'd think they mistakenly wrote "Israel's" instead of "Hamas'".

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The anti-Israel bias and unwillingness to acknowledge Israel's legitimate need to respond militarily to Oct. 7 made this piece worthless. There is a valid discussion to be had, but she either isn't capable or interested in having it.

That is poor work on Klein's part because she is turning off many of the people she should be trying to draw to her side with the lack of balance in the piece.

X-Hack likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mine was.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Never mind the role Hamas plays in putting those journalists, and the rest of Gaza, in harm's way.

X-Hack likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In what way have I suggested otherwise?

Now what? That's a lot of dead journalists.

12. doctorquant

No one's disputing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted