1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jon Rothstein

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hell, you could add Mulkey and her outfits. More recognizable than almost any men's coach.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I don't think you can pin Purdue's losses on Edey. He's had double-doubles in four of the Boilers seven losses over the last two seasons and in the other three he was either one or two rebounds away from it.

I didn't watch last night, but I've seen all of the other losses and the teams that beat Purdue are the ones that do it on the perimeter and force errors from their guards. They had 14 turnovers against Nebraska.

Edey is the face of the men's game this season, to me. In part because of the departure of so many great coaches in the last four years and in part because he's the returning national player of the year on the top ranked team. I've also been a casual Boiler fan for 30+ years, so take that with a grain of salt, I guess.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think thatJoe Sixpack from Anytown, USA sees Edey as a big oaf who lost to a 16 seed.

Reese and Clark are absolute studs who have superstar written all over them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    tapintoamerica and SixToe like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Re Purdue: College hoops can be cruel. I’m old enough to remember when Dean Smith “couldn’t win the big one” until 1982.
    More recently, it has been interesting to see how many people in NC and elsewhere were pissed that Virginia won in 2019 because that result meant the Cavs could no longer be known entirely as choking charlatans.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Interesting take on North Carolinians and Virginia's title. I've lived in North Carolina 20+ years now and am a Chapel Hill grad. I didn't then and haven't since heard anyone say anything negative about Virginia's title (unlike when Duke wins one).

I take that back, there was some grumping about their style of play. But nothing about not wanting Virginia to win. I was happy for the Wahoos.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Lot of NC State folks are not thrilled in my experience. Someone finally joined the big two on the national stage and it wasn’t the Pack. Tough to take.

franticscribe likes this.
  8. poindexter

I'm in my late 50s. I can remember when Dean Smith couldn't win the big one. Coach K could get to final fours, but couldn't win the big one. Martina Navratilova couldn't win a grand slam title.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jordan couldn’t get past the Celtics or Pistons …

poindexter likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Zach Edey ... the poor man's Chet Holmgren.

And Holmgren couldn't get to the promised land with Timme alongside, so that's how much credence I put in tournament runs as indicators of individual dominance.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Didn't Clark lose the "big game" last season?

12. poindexter

My post was that those two women were the two biggest stars in college basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted