1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Far Out Names

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Always liked former USC track athlete Just'N Thymes.

A few years back we had a high school football player named Miraculous Powers — which I needed some of to keep from strangling the sports writer I sent out to do a story on him, with explicit instructions to ask about how he got his name (there was a good back story to it) as an obvious hook, and the writer never once mentioned it in said story.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Miraculous Powers is pretty great.

For several nominees, I present what appears (tragically) to be the final Name of the Year bracket.

Here's Your 2020 Name Of The Year Bracket

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I was in the Navy with a guy named Richard Richard III.
    It wasn't even Richard Richards. It was Richard Richard.

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I knew a young man once whose girlfriend was named Candy Apple. And she was not 'in the service' so to speak. The kind of girl you'd bring home to mom.

5. Driftwood

I never personally met her, but I have had stories about some girl around these parts whose parents named her Crystal Shanda Lear.

6. Driftwood

I did cover a high school basketball player named Destini Fine.
    I thought, "There are a lot of adult entertainers who have to work hard to come up with names like that."

Batman likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Wonder if he played “dick dick goose” as a kid.

HanSenSE and Driftwood like this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I once shot pictures at a little league game featuring a kid named Chandler Bing. My spit take was not appreciated.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

That's Wonderful Terrific Monds to you, and he was a Jr. no less.

He also had a son, WTM III, who had a spell as a minor leaguer, primarily in the Braves system.

I'd like to contribute former Stetson basketball player Chief Kickingstallionsims to the list.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Still one of my favorite hockey player names but not out there so much as it's just a great name: Ty Rattie.

I went to college with a Shanda Morse. I asked her if her family was Jewish. Yep. Ouch. Yes, she knew.
    Later on, she told me she had cousins who went by Dot, Dash, and Tap. Some people need to get terriers and stop there.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There was a girl in my high school named Candy Kane.

12. zufer

zufer Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted