1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild-Card Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I remember that game like it was yesterday.

Jimmy Johnson went up in front of the media and said, "Barry Sanders will not beat us."

So Erik Kramer masters the three-step drop and quick fire and hit Herman Moore and everyone else he could find all game long. Then, after it was long decided, the Lions hand it to Sanders, who left six Cowboys sprawling on the turf trying to get him down.

For those of you who enjoyed Green Bay's takedown a few hours back, you would have loved this game, too. Executing the game plan in every way, shape and form.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    Batman and Roscablo like this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This ain't Murder

She Wrote being shown in it's entirety after the game on the West Coast.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

What I remember is the Broncos played in the AFC championship that year against the Bills so leading up to it my friends and I were all debating who you'd rather play. The Lions won. And while the Broncos likely fare worse against the Redskins than the Bills (not a good mix, Super Bowls and the Broncos at the time, not that it was much better for Buffalo), the Broncos lost that game 10-7, giving up a pick six and missing three field goals.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  4. Sam Mills 51

... which is weird. I met Rich Karlis once. Rented a vehicle in my corner of the world. When he gave me his name, I asked him.

He seemed stunned that I recalled that. Zero ego. Easygoing guy. I was not in Fort Collins during this time.

Roscablo, MileHigh and playthrough like this.
  5. Roscablo

No longer Rich Karlis. It was David Treadwell. And yes I know that without looking it up.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So many Broncos heartbreakers over the decades. That one in Buffalo might barely break the top 10. I remember they had no shot -- until they had a shot.

Roscablo likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Well, you know those Clemson kickers. At least he didn't end up in prison ...

Roscablo likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good nugget at the end though about texting a Lions fan about the win and how that's never happened before. I love stuff like that.

But I also think he should have slept in his own bed last night while Al Michaels was on the call in KC.

Deskgrunt50 and MileHigh like this.
  9. Roscablo

Seriously, but not like the Lions! That game gets lost in the lore because they weren't supposed to win and I don't think anyone really wanted them to go back to the Super Bowl. But a pick six and three missed field goals and lost 10-7. Just ugh! I mean, the anniversary of the stupid Baltimore game came up this weekend across all my social memories. We all remember that! This one we should too, but I bet most Broncos fans really don't.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. Roscablo

To tie it all together, the Broncos are a long way from what the Cowboys are going through now or the Lions and Browns have forever, but how much does some success wipe away all of that?

Do the Cowboys fans who remember their dynasty in the 90s suffer all little less through games like today? Do Broncos fans not care about the current drought and the bad Super Bowls and Baltimore and Jacksonville (and Buffalo?) as much because they finally got three? I know that really Super Bowl 50 still has some time for me not giving a crap at the moment, but I am sure it will fade.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Um … there still is a 1 seed yet to play …

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Stanford out there in a Carhartt coat like he’s about to go feed.

Draft saved Draft deleted