1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild-Card Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 8, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Broncos are 8-2 in AFC championship games. I was at the other loss. And, honestly, at the time I was OK with them losing in Buffalo with what happened in the previous Super Bowls they were in.

Roscablo likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Agreed, but that’s the call that gets absolutely ripped around here when not successful.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This was the Cowboys' last playoff loss until the 49ers beat them in the 1994 NFC championship game.
    Also, Ken Norton getting spun into the turf like he was drunk is what I always remember about that play. Forgot that Sanders bounced off what should've been a wrap-up tackle for a minimal gain, then sprinted through a microscopic hole between five defenders and two linemen, and hit top speed in about three steps. Barry Sanders was fucking amazing.
    Seriously, THIS wound up as a walk-in touchdown:

Sanders-1.jpg

Roscablo likes this.
  4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

… which explains your confusion with the playoff “brackets” and seeding. ;)

Songbird and dixiehack like this.
  5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I don’t even know what playoffs are. Something in Brigadoon or something.

Gutter likes this.
  6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Yeah, um, I get that. But the networks have been posting images of brackets. And literally every outlet around here said then Cle-Hou winner would play at Baltimore.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As I understand it:
    If the Bills prevail tomorrow:
    Texans at Ravens, 4:30 Saturday
    Chiefs at Bills, 6:30 Sunday

If the Steelers win tomorrow:
    Texans at Chiefs, 4:30 Saturday
    Steelers at Ravens, 6:30 Sunday

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

They have to set up brackets because it looks better on TV. But the highest seed will play the lowest seed every round at home basically.

So they are just going with what the chalk will look like.

So, yeah, the AFC hasn't been decided. If Pittsburgh, as the 7 seed wins they play at Baltimore. Just like Green Bay will head to San Francisco.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sorry. It’s just been that way for a while that the lowest seed plays the highest seed after the first round. And it sounds like your local networks are either full of people who don’t follow football or assumed the Steelers won’t win Monday.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I was at the second loss also (at least nothing goofy happened in that, they just got their tails beat). It is all perspective as a fan. That is an amazing championship game record. The Super Bowl, not so much. So some would say, and I have heard them say it, they'd rather not be in the Super Bowl than to have those types of losses. And ugh those losses. But do you think the Lions would take those losses over not having a playoff win in 30-plus years and never have even gone?

And I was young and dumb, but that Buffalo game pissed me off regardless of the Broncos record or what happened to the Bills in the Super Bowl.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I should have asked my original question differently. Got a sleepover going on here, so my focus is lacking.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If the Lions had that kind of track record, they're basically the Cowboys. So the question is, would you rather be a Lions fan (no playoff wins in 32 years, only a handful of appearances, one or two heartbreakers the times they did make it), or a Cowboys fan (28 years and counting of false hope, some really good regular seasons followed by playoff nut kicks, a half-dozen of said nut kicks in the past 28 years, and perpetual mediocrity most of the other seasons)?

Draft saved Draft deleted