1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild-Card Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 8, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I said it a few days ago, he's another one of those guys of whom too much was expected too early. It's never that he wasn't good; it's that he wasn't ready when a fan base and team looked to him to be ready.

wicked likes this.
  2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

shotglass-

I've never seen a dude run out of a town on so little merit by his critics. That's just me.

I get that his arrogance might make him unlikable, but that has nothing to do with winning.

Mayfield was a kid who moved around a lot as I remember reading, so he has been able to adjust to new environment(s). He needs a supporting cast, like every guy who gets drafted high or who moves around a bit.

misterbc and jr/shotglass like this.
  3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

He was plenty ready. He led the team to the playoffs, won a game and nearly upset the Chiefs. He was completing 80% of his passes the next year when he got hurt and then the idiots who run the team kept shoving him in the lineup for the rest of that year because they needed to figure out whether they should pay him the big bucks. It took him a year-and-a-half to come back from that injury and look at him now. And look at them now. Stuck with a banged-up Watson, who wasn’t that good when he was healthy, his ridiculous contract and no talent from the first round for three consecutive years. Absolute brilliance.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If you can start for four teams in three seasons, it means a.) you have to be halfway decent and b.) you're a good guy whom everyone likes on both sides of the locker room. Studs who are complete jackasses tend to run out of opportunities the second or occasionally the third time around. Mayfield probably isn't a true franchise QB a la Brady or Mahomes, but he looks like a really good fit for the Bucs, who suddenly seem to have most of the pieces around him.

Octave and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think they'll still shut it down, similar to the way MLB brought the bootheel down on the shift, for the same reasons: it WORKS, it accomplishes its mission, but it looks like bullshit.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just got a better look at Allen’s touchdown run. It looks like he faked a slide, then started running again. I’m not even sure if that is legal or not in the NFL. College football outlawed it after Pickett did the same thing in the ACC Championship game.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

In fairness to goalmouth, this entire site is based on people yelling at clouds.

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I still think ALL helping the runner should be illegal, like it used to be.

Yes, I'm old.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That's only a smidgeon past what I suggested. Yeah, sure. He was pretty solid early on, too.

I'd always thought that it was a rugby move before it started showing up in the NFL.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Pickleball is worse than all of those.

2muchcoffeeman and BTExpress like this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Subscribe to his newsletter.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted