1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild-Card Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 8, 2024.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fun stat: The Packers have as many postseason wins in Jerry World as the Cowboys.

Liut likes this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the Packers did have a home playoff game in the first round of the strike year, beating the Cardinals before they got dispatched at Texas Stadium in the following round. They also would have in 1972 under current rules, but back then the home teams in the Divisional round were determined by an idiotic rotation and it was the NFC Central's year to get hosed. But between then and Brett Favre (1992), they had three winning seasons: an 8-7-1 in 1978, the strike year and 1989, where they went 10-6 and missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker. They did have four 8-8 seasons in a five year span in the early 1980s.

For the last decade or so, the 49ers have bitch-slapped the Packers around in playoff games several times. There was a Divisional game in 2013 where Kaepernick ran all over them, followed by the following year where they lost at Lambeau in OT on a bitterly cold night, the 2020 NFC Championship game, where Raheem Mostert ran all over the place and the Packers were down 27-0 at the half, and then the 2022 Divisional where the Packers finally earned homefield advantage in the playoffs and pissed it away because of their incompetent special teams. So we're back to a bitch-slapping this time out, probably.

Very little if any of those things have improved, but honestly, they could lose 41-donut on Saturday night and I wouldn't particularly care. In the last three weeks, the Packers destroyed the Vikings in Minneapolis, made the playoffs with a team that had no business even being in the race before Thanksgiving, and then dismantled the Cowboys in Arlington. Anything between now and a Super Bowl would be gravy.

HanSenSE, Octave and Gutter like this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Incoming 500 word post.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Whack away at that straw man, Junkie.

CD brought up the lack of calls against the Bills. I responded by pointing out all the things the Steelers failed to do, all of which were far more relevant to the outcome. I later conceded his point that there were a few egregious missed calls. I'm sorry if my balanced response bothers you.

5. outofplace

Pile jumper.

6. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Really, I'm not sure this aspect of NFL history has gotten the ridicule it warrants. Somehow it took until 1975 to realize home field as a reward for the better record made sense, leading to things like the '72 Dolphins having to go to Pittsburgh for the AFC championship game.

HanSenSE, dixiehack and poindexter like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Kelce makes the Super Bowl, Tay-Tay has a concert in Japan the night before on this tour with no end. If the scheduled 7 p.m. concert (opening act at 6) ends at 10:15 Tokyo time (5:15 a.m. Las Vegas time), she has 13 and a half hours to get to the game in Las Vegas.

She may be hiring SpaceX.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

byh-

I am fascinated by the hatred of Mayfield. This isn't fokkin tennis (or pickleball), it's a team game.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

No more than Fox News’ fair and balanced bothers me.

And shit, I bet the over.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Kelce ends up on some network next year - CBS and Fox could both use some "youth" on their desk - but I also think he could be the next Madden.

12. outofplace

That straw man, and honesty, are taking a beating in your posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted