1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild-Card Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with you two. If this move was made illegal, we'd just have another occasion for lengthy and useless arguments. And the first time the new rule was applied to like a wideout, hoo boy.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The success the Patriots have had over the last quarter century is ridiculous when compared to the clown show the franchise was for most of the prior four decades, save Fairbanks, Parcells and an unlikely Super Bowl appearance under Berry.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They actually had a second SB appearance in the 1990s. Not much more competitive than the first one, but . . .

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Super Bowl 31, which the Pats lost 35-21 to the Packers, was competitive for three quarters, but Parcells insisted on kicking off to Desmond Howard and that was that. Reggie White took over in the fourth.

justgladtobehere and wicked like this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, I don't remember one. If you disagree, show me the play. I can think of plenty of them by Steelers. Hines Ward did it on a regular basis. So did Ryan Clark. Ryan Shazier was guilty of leading with his head on far too many tackles, including the one that left him temporarily paralyzed. I'm sure I can come up with more given time.

The officials mostly swallowed their whistles and flags Monday and that led to some big missed calls, including the one that ended the Steelers' last opportunity to rally. I think they would have lost anyway. The Bills were the much better team. I'm sorry your own biases can't allow you to see that.

7. outofplace

He didn't just slow down. He leaned back as if he was starting to slide. Hell, I'm not even sure it is against the rules. The rules protecting quarterbacks make him even tougher to stop when he runs. If a defender sees him do that and lets up a little, he runs through the tackle. If they don't slow up and he does slide, it's a penalty like the one they called on Myles Jack. That was the right call, by the way. It's damn near impossible for Jack to stop at that point, but it doesn't matter. By rule, the officials got that one right.

8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

they lost, no one cares.

9. outofplace

I didn't see it at first, either, but he didn't just hesitate. He leaned back as if he was starting to slide. The issue may be more with the rules than how the officials enforced them.

Hell, the officials ignored fans throwing snowballs on the field during some plays, too. There was one play that George Pickens tried to make a very difficult catch in the end zone and failed. On the replay, you could see snowballs landing near him. Even a warning from the officials would have been enough.

10. outofplace

Plenty of people care. I see them posting on social media, which is what got me to revisit the topic. Even people on this very thread care because they are responding.

Words mean things. Just because you don't care doesn't mean nobody cares. You should know that.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Howard's only career kickoff return for a TD.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yes, with Parcells, and that was a circus.

Draft saved Draft deleted