1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild-Card Weekend thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 8, 2024.

1. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Righteous bucks!

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The NHL already canceled Blackhawks-Sabres tonight. What's the forecast for the weekend?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Snow everyday through Saturday. Partly cloudy Sunday, high of 24, low of 16.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Can you imagine this board if oop was a Rams fan? The rams got utterly boned on a missed PI on third down on their final drive in the fourth quarter. Oh well. They were the benefactor on a missed PI years ago in the NFC championship game. Some calls go your way, some don't. Complaining about refs calls is such a loser's lament, and most males outgrow it after middle school.

Batman and MileHigh like this.
  5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The average snowblower has a width that's at least 50 percent, if not more, larger than the width of the between the seats of a football stadium. Heck, that's probably narrower than most snowshovels on the market. I can't think of any industrial means of moving that, at least not one that you can find in bulk. If we assume that 18 inches of snow fell on Highmark Stadium and that the average seat width is 15", and the capacity of the stadium is 71,608, that is 134,265 cubic feet of snow that is just blocking seats. That is a pile of snow that forms a cube that is 51 feet tall. Or, if we could beam that snow from the seats to the field, it would cover a depth of 28 inches from goalpost to goalpost and sideline to sideline. That would be hard to move in any amount of time from a flat surface, much less around seats and up and down stairs. Even Lambeau Field is just bleachers.

For what it's worth, when there was snow before a 2020 playoff game at Lambeau, they were looking for 350 workers at $12 an hour.

That said, I wonder if some of the Bills and Steelers fans I saw would have grounds to sue the Bills like the people who sued the NFL when the Cowboys couldn't get the fire marshal to OK their "auxiliary" seats in time before Super Bowl XLV.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Batman and UPChip like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Unless you've actually been in the stadium during/after a blizzard, you have no idea how much snow that place collects, being located smack-dab in the southtowns snowbelt.

I never have. But I lived in the area long enough to say most people who have never experienced a snowstorm/blizzard of that magnitude have no freaking idea how much snow that is. There were still snowbanks from the Blizzard of 77 until late spring.

Huggy and MileHigh like this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

No shaming intended. One of the few benefits of an upbringing and a residence at this latitude is a chance to speak with a modicum of authority on matters of hellish winter weather. Does anyone need the "How Lake Effect Snow Works!" tutorial?

The Keweenaw Peninsula (/UPthreadjack), easily the most celebrated lake effect band in Lake Superior, has reported 46" of new snow in the last five days.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I talked with my Rams fan boss today for the first time since the game and he was lamenting for 5-10 minutes about the non-calls, lost chances, hating the 49ers, said it will take a long time for him to get over it. I didn't bring up the Saints game from a few years ago.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I do appreciate the explanation of how complicated it is! I could picture the narrowness of the staircases but not the rows. I still think @DanOregon's idea about a bright engineering student has a lot of merit, though.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They should have offered any Bills employee $750 straight up to help shovel out the snow. If that didn't get enough people, offer outsiders $500 to do it.

12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I do confess I was playing in the snow myself! With someone else, of course.
    I never thought in my lifetime a playoff game would be staged on a Monday afternoon.
    There was a game at Mile High in the 80s when Broncos fans threw snowballs at a critical point in the game. And then the famous 1995 Chargers-Giants snowball fight at the Meadowlands.

Draft saved Draft deleted