1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The last sentence just doesn’t apply to my town, one of the poorest in Indiana. The city is so bereft of resources it doesn’t enforce any zoning or maintenance ordinances. We have rental properties that literally havesecond-story porches sagging and collapsing. No money to tear them down, either.

We have a large number of Mexican immigrants who work at farms and industrial food factories that often live 10-15 to a rental home. A lot of my wife’s pro bono clients are in living conditions like this and slumlords have all the leverage.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Many years ago, a buddy of mine who was always looking to make money without effort stopped by to tell me he was buying some rental properties, and all he'd have to do is sit back and collect the checks every month. I told him I think there's a lot more to it than that because he'd be on the hook for maintenance, repairs, etc. I humored him and rode along to take a look at the place.
    As soon as we pulled in, I wanted a tetanus booster. If I remember, there were three janky single-wides and a an old service station that had been converted into two apartments.
    "Duuuude! Don't do it. No. Anybody willing to live in these shit holes won't be able to pay you."
    "Naaaaa. It'll be good. The checks will roll in."
    I called the place Gangs of New York.
    It wasn't long until I was going back with him regularly to pick up sets of tires, a Hoveround, Social Security checks, etc. to cover rent people couldn't pay. More than once tenants would offer to use his lawn equipment to do work to cover rent. Well, we'd have to go to local pawn shops to get it back.
    He finally unloaded the place. I just said, "Dumbass. I told you so." I never asked if he even broke even on it. No idea what he paid. Sometimes it's best not to have green eyes.

2muchcoffeeman and wicked like this.
  3. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Edit:
    Out-of-state corporate landlords are gobbling up Milwaukee homes to rent out, and it's changing the fabric of some neighborhoods

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just playing devil's advocate, but isn't an empty-nester someone whose kids have left the nest? So at one point, kids did live in those large houses. Should the parents sell the house just because their kids have left, especially if it's paid for and they like where they live?

We're empty nesters. Our house is paid for. We love the neighborhood and our neighbors. My house isn't big (1440 sf) but I sure as hell ain't leaving.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This is definitely true in Microville, where so many houses close to campus have gone from owner-occupied to rentals and now have trash all over and lawns that are never mowed.

There was a rental on my cul de sac, just for a year and it was amazing how much it deteriorated. When the owners decided to sell it took 2-3 days for the yard crew guys to get it back to where it could even be put on the market.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If transactions costs were zero, you'd probably see more empty-nesters vacating space they don't need anymore ... but they're decidedly non-zero. Selling a median-price home in my neck o' the woods means about $25K in real estate commissions PLUS all the costs involved in packing up and moving.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is probably a stupid idea, but wondering if we might see property “trades” — upsizing owners toss in some extra cash, empty-nesters downsize and potentially come out of it debt-free.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

And there are long term savings like lower property taxes, less upkeep, lower energy costs.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

My house is not necessarily a "forever house," and I will sell someday, but I want to hit it at a sweet spot. That day is coming, but it isn't nigh.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They completely fubared the housing market. Millions of people are locked into their homes because of artificially low 30-year fixed rate mortgages that prevailed for more than a decade, but aren't there now. So we have tight supply. The mispriced debt drove up home prices, and now the tight supply relative to the natural demand is continuing to drive prices up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/19/december-home-sales-slump-to-close-out-worst-year-since-1995.html

First-time buyers are still struggling, making up just 29% of December sales, down from 31% the year before. Historically they make up 40% of the market.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Asking Ragu legitimately because I don't know...

What's worse?

-- (Relatively speaking) insanely high interest rates in the early 1980s that limited entry into the homebuying market?
    -- Insanely low interest rates leading to insane housing prices in the 2020s that limited entry into the homebuying market?

Both seem suboptimal to me.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Trying to determine, in the equation X = X, which is the worse side is what's known as a fool's errand.

Draft saved Draft deleted