1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

What can I say? Saying with certainty that financial uncertainty over the last 100+ years is all the Fed's fault assumes an awful lot of unknowables.

You're sure you'd be better off without the fed, and your proof is .... well ... your certainty. The counterpoint is, "Well in the last 100 years we've become the richest country in the history of histories, and we enjoy an unequaled standard of living."

It's a lot like Uncle Rico being sure he'd have gone pro if coach had just put him into the game. We know the actual result - Uncle Rico didn't go pro. It's hard to argue with Uncle Rico's "certainty" that things would have turned out differently.

But as always: Eventually the economy will take a shit, because it always does. I'm sure you'll be standing by to tell us how you predicted it.

Hermes likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It gives me a warm chuckle on a winter’s night to picture Ragu throwing darts at William Jennings Bryan’s picture, Murphy Brown style.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's really sad to me that so little attention is getting paid to that sham investigation the Fed did of itself into Rob Kaplan and Eric Rosengren. Just as a reminder. ... When the Fed was in full hijack mode of the debt markets -- to "stabilize" them in 2020 -- buying up a massive dollar amounts of Treasuries, mortgage-backed securities and corporate debt, including junk bonds (and creating runaway inflation we're all still paying for), Kaplan was the president of the Dallas Fed and Rosengren the president of the Boston Fed. They had advance knowledge of what issues the Fed's trading desk in New York was going to buy and when. ... and Kaplan in particular, was doing a Raj Rajaratnam impersonation, trading like a hedge fund manager sitting on juicy insider information. He was executing million dollar trades. Rosengren made numerous trades in funds that were invested in mortgage-backed securities -- front-running the Fed's actions (if you had advance knowledge of what they were going to buy, you could make guaranteed money).

Jay Powell never addressed the corruption, he just kept stalling and covering for them, and who knows if he is part of the corruption enriching himself too on his ability to rig the game.

Two years ago, I posted this about a reporter from Bloomberg who put Powell on the spot on an unrelated conference call, because the Fed wouldn't be transparent and release Kaplan's trades:

That reporter tweeted this yesterday:

The report the inspector general they appointed to investigate themselves put out yesterday is laughable. But no one cares or is paying attention, so they can just do a giant "f you" and get away with it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

[Bored Ape NFT gif Goes Here]

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Fed Board Ethics told the Dallas Fed that before his forms were made public, the disclosures need to have more specificity, including the dates of his trades. ... but Kaplan said he didn't have time to do it.

That's actually buried in there because. ... well, they know nobody is going to even read the report, let alone understand what it is they were doing to rig securities prices higher -- making the rich (including themselves, as it turned out) richer.

Bored Ape NFT, indeed.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I bought a rental in suburban Denver in 2012 for $189,500. It worked out well for about 10 years and the price and rent I received appreciated nicely. I refinanced after awhile at a really low rate and pulled money out. The house was constructed in 1979. Three years ago it started to fall apart and I was putting 20k a year in repairs. Because of the repairs I only charged my tenant 2k a month, which was under market so I was making the payment pretty much out of pocket. Last year I decided to sell.

My realtor told me to list it at $499,000, which I thought was a stretch. Some company out of Texas came in and snapped it up after two days on the market for $494,000, whi
    In agriculture, for example if there is a surplus of a commodity the price increases than farmers grow less of the crop. Who would be the suppliers of money?

7. The Big Ragu

Commercial banks, same as they are currently.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Paid $3.09 this morning for gas, the lowest I've paid in town since May, 2022. Guy said it could go even lower by Thursday or Friday.

Falling gas prices. More bad news for Biden.

9. The Big Ragu

It's seasonal.

Gas prices are almost always lowest this time of the year, hitting a seasonal low in early February. Demand is at its lowest during the winter. If this year is typical, prices will start to climb after that into Memorial Day, which is around when you get a seasonal high during most years. That will have zero to do with Joe Biden, as well.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The point is, they are lower than this time last year, when they also hit their season lows.

Of course, it has nothing to do with who is president. Same thing applies when prices are high. But most voters don't know that. They blame the president for high gas prices.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

$2.57 today

12. The Big Ragu

It's a silly game. Gas prices are higher than they were when Joe Biden was elected. He might not control the price of gas directly (except when he was emptying the strategic petroleum reserve to manage his poll numbers), but his presidency has been marked by huge amounts of government debt on out-of-control spending which required extreme debt monetization that showed up in the prices consumers have been seeing in all kinds of things.

It's not like 100 million people on the lower end of the economic spectrum are going to be convinced that they aren't struggling to make ends meet or that their costs haven't risen dramatically over the last several years because of week to week price fluctuations in gas. Overall prices aren't declining. Even if you believe the CPI accurately measures anything, prices across the board, according to it, are up close to 20 percent since he was elected and were still rising at a 3.4 percent annual clip in the last number drop they did. In that environment, it shouldn't be any surprise that any president, Joe Biden or otherwise, would be as unpopular as he is.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted