1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

$4 for a 2-liter Coke Zero Sugar.

That shouldn't have happened until about 2040.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's around $2.65 here.

3. BTExpress

I saw something today I almost never see. Two stations, across the street from one another, with a 31-cent difference in price.

I pulled into this Murphy place I often go to that was selling for $3.09, casually look at the 7-Eleven across the street, and it's selling for $2.78.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You should see the split in our town. Indiana has more taxes, so at times the Indiana side is 50 cents more than the Ohio side.

You can see the sign of each from the other.

I’m assuming the Indiana station is only in business because some on each side are insistent on only shopping on their side of the state border.

Yes, I do live in a sitcom.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And they say you can't put a price on avoiding a left turn against traffic.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

In Florida, buy Coke, go broke.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I did not ask the question precisely enough. Currently the Fed creates money and injects it into the financial system though the commercial banking system. Are you telling me under your proposal commercial banks would replace the Fed and create money? Absent the ability to create money then the money supply is finite and largely controlled by whatever the reserve requirement is. Who would determine the reserve requirement?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Fed doesn't create money. It manipulates the money supply, but banks create money via credit / lending and taking deposits. Not the Federal Reserve. The reserve ratio is one way it does that. ... but it's not even close to being the primary way they put their thumb on the scales of finance. That is primarily accomplished via their open market operations (where they function as the world's worst hedge fund, buying high and selling l0w and getting front run by rich people who they exist to make richer), and much less so by the discount rate they control that everyone focuses on.

But the Fed itself doesn't create money. Banks create money by making loans, which when it gets deposited back into the banking system gets loaned all over again, creating more new money.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Walmart store brands are our friends.

wicked likes this.
  10. BTExpress

It's Diet Dr Thunder almost all the time now.

Walmart did "roll back" the Coca-Cola and Pepsi 2-liters to $1.98 for a few weeks, but it's back up to $2.65 now.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Virtually every time I go to Publix there is a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal on 12-packs of some soda brand family. Sometimes it is a Buy 2 Get 2 on the RC/7 Up section, which allows me to stock up on Sun Drop.

12. BTExpress

A decade ago they would have "BOGO" signs plastered all over the store.

No more. Because now they almost always make you buy two to get one free.

Which still is too expensive most of the time.

6 liters of Diet Dr Thunder is $4.26.
    6 liters of Diet Dr Pepper in a Buy Two Get One Free special at Publix is $8. STILL almost twice as expensive.

I miss North Carolina's Harris-Teeter and their Buy 2 Get 3(!) Free deals.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted