1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Platforming Tucker Carlson, I can get that for cynical reasons. But the other three? Elon might as well have burned (another) pile of money. If that's the best you can get, just do something else.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's really crazy to think how insignificant someone is without a bullhorn - whether it is CNN, Fox News or CBS Sports or whatever. Don Lemon has always struck me as a guy who just likes being on TV - he really doesn't seem to offer the viewer much value for their time.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The Tesla option when I had to rent a car last year was much cheaper than even a subcompact was. But I didn’t want to have to worry about charging (I’ve never done it before) and had a tight schedule and two long drives, so I passed. I was really surprised by the price but I guess no one was biting at a higher price.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The other thing about renting a Tesla is that the UI is really not very intuitive. It’s not a car in which you just sit down, push the button and drive away.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Stephen Miller — to weird and too ugly to get laid, makes this his life’s work.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Was just thinking. ... at least in the short-term, your decision is working out for you.

Bitcoin got up over $49K on the frenzy into the news. ... It's been a "sell the news" event since, sitting at under $39K this morning.

The inflows into those ETFs have not been as robust as the most optimistic projections I was seeing, but 1) the hype was pretty ridiculous and "analysts" make those projections to try to get their name out there, and 2) I know the iShares and Fidelity ETFs are up over a billion dollars in assets each, which is not chopped liver.

I personally would never buy and hold an asset like this. But I don't play the lottery either.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've posted on Twitter exactly two times in the last three years. I have only kept my account so that I can read it when. From January 2021 to December 2023, I gained exactly three followers, all of whom were people I know offline to some degree.

Since the beginning of January, I've gained about two dozen followers, all of whom appear to be bots or scammers and most of whom go back and "like" some random old replies of mine - not my actual Tweets.

I don't really care, but it makes me wonder what's changed recently that's led to an explosion of these bots and/or scammers.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’ve had around 5000 legit followers for several years now. But lately I’m picking up 5 to 10 bot accounts, a day. Ridiculous.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Every day, I’ve been picking up at least one bot or scammer who, coincidentally I’m sure, has a profile pic and identity as a beautiful woman.

I’m sure they’re not following me for my wrestling posts.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted